Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: A note from SAADA on "powerful" airguns

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    that 5.5 mm/.22 is legal
    The Act says "Less than 5.56 mm (.22 calibre)". .22" is 5.58 mm and so on that count the energy limit applies. You can say that this is being over technical, but to my mind any air gun marked .22 is clearly subject to the energy limit. You would have a hard time convincing the SAPS that it is less than .22 calibre! Here is a document I prepared in 2004 to clarify the matter.

Peter

DEREGULATION OF AIR RIFLES, PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS (Version 2)

In terms of Section 5(1)(f) of the Firearms Control Act (No 60 of 2000) an airgun is not regarded as a firearm for the purposes of the Act. The definition of an airgun, given in Section 1(ii) of the Act, was amended by the Firearms Control Amendment Act (No 43 of 2003) and now reads:

airgun means any device manufactured to discharge a bullet or any other projectile-
    (a) of a calibre of less than 5,6mm (.22 calibre); or {my emphasis}
    (b) at a muzzle energy of less than 8 joules (6 ft-lbs),
    by means of compressed gas and not by means of burning propellant

IMPERIAL METRIC
    Formula for muzzle energy E = WxV2/450436 ft-lbs E = WxV2/2000 joules
    Where W = bullet weight Grains Grams
    And V = muzzle velocity ft/sec m/sec
    Typical 0.22" pellet weight 14,5 grains 0,94 grams
    Emax = Legal limit 6 ft-lbs 8 joules
    Solving formula for Vmax 431 ft/sec 130 m/sec (= 428 ft/sec)
    Strictly 8 joules = 5,899 ft-lbs 428 ft/sec (= 130 m/sec)

Thus:

1. All 0,177" (Number 1) air guns and also any other calibre less than 0,22" are deregulated.

2. All 0,22" (number 2) air guns with less than 428 ft/sec (130 m/sec) muzzle velocity are deregulated. I know of no spring powered or pneumatic air pistols that exceed this velocity. Air rifles are another matter.

3. For other calibre (such as 0,25") the value of Vmax would have to be calculated using the appropriate pellet weight.

User

Very interesting explanation. Thanks!

User

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    The Act says "Less than 5.56 mm (.22 calibre)". .22" is 5.58 mm and so on that count the energy limit applies. You can say that this is being over technical, but to my mind any air gun marked .22 is clearly subject to the energy limit. You would have a hard time convincing the SAPS that it is less than .22 calibre! Here is a document I prepared in 2004 to clarify the matter.

Peter

DEREGULATION OF AIR RIFLES, PISTOLS AND REVOLVERS (Version 2)

In terms of Section 5(1)(f) of the Firearms Control Act (No 60 of 2000) an airgun is not regarded as a firearm for the purposes of the Act. The definition of an airgun, given in Section 1(ii) of the Act, was amended by the Firearms Control Amendment Act (No 43 of 2003) and now reads:

airgun means any device manufactured to discharge a bullet or any other projectile-
    (a) of a calibre of less than 5,6mm (.22 calibre); or {my emphasis}
    (b) at a muzzle energy of less than 8 joules (6 ft-lbs),
    by means of compressed gas and not by means of burning propellant

IMPERIAL METRIC
    Formula for muzzle energy E = WxV2/450436 ft-lbs E = WxV2/2000 joules
    Where W = bullet weight Grains Grams
    And V = muzzle velocity ft/sec m/sec
    Typical 0.22" pellet weight 14,5 grains 0,94 grams
    Emax = Legal limit 6 ft-lbs 8 joules
    Solving formula for Vmax 431 ft/sec 130 m/sec (= 428 ft/sec)
    Strictly 8 joules = 5,899 ft-lbs 428 ft/sec (= 130 m/sec)

Thus:

1. All 0,177" (Number 1) air guns and also any other calibre less than 0,22" are deregulated.

2. All 0,22" (number 2) air guns with less than 428 ft/sec (130 m/sec) muzzle velocity are deregulated. I know of no spring powered or pneumatic air pistols that exceed this velocity. Air rifles are another matter.

3. For other calibre (such as 0,25") the value of Vmax would have to be calculated using the appropriate pellet weight.
    Most of them are marked 5.5mm

User

".22" airguns shoot 5.51mm and 5.52 mm pellets and very occasionally you will find a barrel that likes 5.53mm pellets

Well within the act

Quote Originally Posted by gertjie87 View Post
    Most of them are marked 5.5mm
    Not if you collect Webley and other old air guns; hence my interest!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    ".22" airguns shoot 5.51mm and 5.52 mm pellets and very occasionally you will find a barrel that likes 5.53mm pellets

Well within the act
    Maybe, but the Act legislates the air gun, not the pellets it may be happy firing.

Peter

User

The act specifies the bore size. Go to a gunsmith, get the barrel slugged and a certificate issued with the bore size. If it is less than 5.6mm, you are fine. If ot is more, you are not. I seem to remember that this has been tested in court, and the judgement was clear: if the law saws a maximum measurement of 5.6mm, and your barrel measures 5.52mm, you are gtg. Only some really old .22 rifles don't make the cut, and obviously all the big bore high power pcp rifles. And there are now calibre codes for them on the cfr system, but not for 5.5mm / .22 air guns.
    There really isn't any controversy around this issue any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    The act specifies the bore size.
    So where does that leave the ".303 British" with groove diameters of 311 or more, for example? Or the 38 Special with 357 groove diameter. The Act doesn't mention bore, it refers to "calibre". Right or wrong, the calibre codes are actually chambering codes.

Actually the whole thing is just another stuff-up in the FCA.

Peter

User

[QUOTE=High Power;1281975]So where does that leave the ".303 British" with groove diameters of 311 or more, for example? Or the 38 Special with 357 groove diameter. The Act doesn't mention bore, it refers to "calibre". Right or wrong, the calibre codes are actually chambering codes.

Actually the whole thing is just another stuff-up in the FCA.

Not one of your examples are powered by air, I think you may be losing the plot

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Not one of your examples are powered by air, I think you may be losing the plot
    No, I am not. My point was/is that when the SAPS talk of calibre they are actually referring to the name (plus one or two they invented!) by which the various things are known, not to actual physical dimensions. In this regard the following figures on some pellet boxes and tins are interesting:

BSA (old) Pylarms: No 2 (22)
    Webley: .22 Special Pellets No 2 Bore
    Eley Wasp: No 2 (.22) 5.6 mm
    Marksman: No 2 .22 Bore
    Radius: 5,6 Boor No 2
    Gamo Pro Match: Cal. 5.5 (.22)

Peter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast