User

Default US firearm law for visa holders?

It's likely that (subject to Uncle Sam's approval), I'll be moving to the US in the next 4-6 months or so.

What is the legality regarding visa holders and firearm ownership? I've read some sources say it can't be done and other sources that make mention of getting a hunting permit which somehow is a vehicle to firearm ownership.

Hoping one of our US readers can give me the straight dope? I'll be on a L1 visa (intra company transfer) and would be located either in AZ or VA, most likely the latter.

Default Re: US firearm law for visa holders?

“An alien admitted to the United States under a non-immigrant visa is prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing a firearm or ammunition unless the alien falls within one of the exceptions provided in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2), such as: a valid hunting license or permit, admitted for lawful hunting or sporting purposes, certain official representatives of a foreign government, or a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.”
    Green Card holders are foreign nationals who are lawful permanent residents. Green Card holders may buy firearms under the exact same procedures any citizen must follow. They must be purchasing in their state of residence, like any citizen. There is a blank on the BATFE Form 4473 where the Green Card number is entered; Green Card holders must also provide proof of 6 months actual continuous residence, usually by providing 6 months of water or gas bills.

User

Thanks, I needed to be more specific - that pretty much, as I understand it, rules out possession for self defence (i.e. no CCW) but could said firearm licensed / permitted for sporting purposes be legally used in a self defence encounter say, at home?

Nope, not allowed on L1 non immigrant visa.

User

I’m not familiar with with the details of the AZ and VA gun laws so this is not legal advice.

The VA and NC gun laws are similar. Most states require at least permanent residency to be able to get a CCP. In NC if you are on a L1 visa you can still purchase long guns and are able to get a permit to purchase a pistol, you just can’t carry it concealed. One of the requirements would be having a valid hunters license. Firearms aren’t licensed or registered here for a specific reason like hunting or self defense, all that matters is that it was purchased and used legally.

So once you have an idea which state you are moving too, it will be worthwhile to do some research on the gun/deadly force laws for that state. I know this does not the answer the original question specifically related to AZ or VA but hopefully sheds some light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Thanks fellas.