Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Input required from the knowledgable

Good day everyone,

I can't seem to find a similar type of discussion thus my inquiry, and this forum seems to be a large enough platform with seemingly more opinions from different fields of experience...

I have spoken to some dealers and all opinions vary greatly based on the stock they have in their shop. So I am looking for a golden thread.

I am planning and have been for a while to get into 3 gun or at least getting the right guns for it. I have been saving up for some time and have a limited budget of R 26 000.00. I already have a side arm, belt, holsters and a additional budget set aside for the extras so this will not be taken into account. My query revolves around the AR and the Shotgun. On my list I have the Ruger AR 556, S&W M&P Sport 2 and the DPMS Oracle, currently they are all in the same price range varying from dealer to dealer. I would like some opinions on the above mentioned (pros and cons) and if I have missed any other brand that can be considered.

The shotgun at this point in time I am not to concerned about getting something high tier, I am considering the Uzkon ZK10/Zk18 solely on the price (I know you get what you paid for) If someone has experience with these and will they last for atleast a year or 2, I would appreciate some input. But same as the AR is there something else to consider? Should I rather go pump action?

I hope this is posted in the right place. Thanks in advance!

User

Default Re: Input required from the knowledgable

When you say “3 Gun”, which sport are you refering to?
    IDPA, IPSC or 3 Gun Nation?

How much practical shooting have you done?

User

I have very minimal experience with ARs, but perhaps you could consider the DM-4 as well?

User

Are optics included in your budget?

You could get a pretty good semi auto shotgun set up for your total budget price and get good with it while saying up for the rifle and optics.

Cheap S/A's are generally get what you pay for, and a few people have mentioned issues with their cheapies that would make them aweful for competition.

The M&P Sport 2 is the best of the ones you mentioned IMO, and you could again probably squeeze a decent enough setup for one from your budget depending on optics and mounts

User

Thanks for the responses thus far!
    Wesley I am referring to 3 gun Nation and IPSC. I have moved a lot due to the nature of my work, so specifically referring to clubs shoots not all that much. But have done quite some practical shooting training with a old colleague. So for all intents and purposes I am starting out thus I am looking at a entry level point.

Wave.Jaco I have looked at the DM-4 but have a friend who had a couple of issues with it. Not that I won't be considering it I will put it on the back burner.

SLR - No I have a separate budget for that (most firearms are good and with enough practice excellent - but a bad scope is a bad scope). I see your point, maybe I should probably just be patient get one nice set up and save for the other. But you never know every now and again with the right contact I'd ought to find a nice second hand.

User

Are you competing currently?

I would rather have a good pump than a cheap and nasty semi.

I know very little about 3GN but IPSC has a whole separate division for Pump's. So you can be competitive , which you will struggle to be in shooting an Uzkon against Benellis and Beretta's in Standard.

The 3 guns are all shot separately in IPSC, so you can start with shotgun or rifle and then start shooting the other.

User

I agree. On your budget I would recommend getting a top of the range pump action and a mini rifle. Plenty of fun to be had there. After that, save up more bucks and buy the right AR for the job. Think 18” barrel with a rifle length gas sytem.

Also remember you will need to drop a chunk on a lekker shotshell carrier system. This is where Standard and Standard Manual is won or lost.

User

Hi BigT, no I am not competing but that is the ultimate intention. I see that the golden thread is get one and safe up for the other. The pump option is very tempting as well and they aren't priced all that bad. Any pumps I can consider to do my homework on?

Another vote to skip the cheap and nasty semi auto shotgun. Look for a nice used American made pump action, either Remington 870, Winchester Defender 1300 or Mossberg 500 basically in that order.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal90 View Post
    Hi BigT, no I am not competing but that is the ultimate intention. I see that the golden thread is get one and safe up for the other. The pump option is very tempting as well and they aren't priced all that bad. Any pumps I can consider to do my homework on?
    Benelli SuperNova or an older 870

BUT
    Long before you start worrying about 3 gun. Start shooting your pistol. Get the feel of the game. This will give you a better idea of what direction you want to go in.

Also you will be able to find a lot more pistol matches than long matches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast