Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Input required from the knowledgable

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    BUT
    Long before you start worrying about 3 gun. Start shooting your pistol. Get the feel of the game. This will give you a better idea of what direction you want to go in.

Also you will be able to find a lot more pistol matches than long matches.
    This is golden advice.

There is a lot of "getting the feel of the game"-ing to be done, and it will be quicker and cheaper to do it one platform at a time. For the same reason I prefer IPSC single-platform matches to the 3-gun variants where one shoot all platforms in a single stage. DMG / 3-gun is great fun, but it is very complex. Not ideal for learning.

User

Schweet, had a look at those 3 you recommended Andre, will take it in to consideration.
    BigT taking everything into account that everyone said, should I rather just go with the Shotgun (proper SA), I see the Mossberg JM PRO isn't a bad option. And save up for the rifle for next year? Or is it irrelevant what I choose first as long as it's not nasty cheap stuff?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal90 View Post
    Schweet, had a look at those 3 you recommended Andre, will take it in to consideration.
    BigT taking everything into account that everyone said, should I rather just go with the Shotgun (proper SA), I see the Mossberg JM PRO isn't a bad option. And save up for the rifle for next year? Or is it irrelevant what I choose first as long as it's not nasty cheap stuff?
    I far prefer IPSC shotgun to IPSC rifle, its more dynamic and is super technical. So I am biased but would start with Shotgun

If you buy a Semi Auto Shotgun for standard I suggest you purchase something that meets the following characteristics

A) Its made in Italy
    B) The manufacturers name starts with the letter B
    C) Its manufacturers name ends with a vowel.

User

Put your money into the best AR you can afford while leaving some cash for needed upgrades like a compensator, free float hand guard and decent stock.

If you have cash left over buy a second hand 870 for around R5000. Better yet, ask to borrow a shotgun as most guys involved in 3Gun are more than willing to help out and/or have a spare shotgun

A rifle or AR in particular is very unique to the user and it is a mission to change things while shooting a competition if you are borrowing. The shotgun on the other hand is very easy to lend as there are less customizations other than load ports and chokes.

When you save up more, you can buy a Benelli M2 or a beretta 1301 and then compete in IPSC shotgun

Don’t forgot that 3Gun also requires gear like shotgun loading rigs, at pouches etc etc etc

User

I have a Beretta 1301 Comp for sale that will fall within your budget. It is set up for Standard Division

Loading port neatly opened.
    10+1 Tube
    12+1 Tube
    5 Chokes
    Matchsaver
    Low drag follower

User

I'm glad I asked this question rather than going in blind and doubting my life decisions. It's fascinating to hear the preferences in platforms. I think I am going to go in the direction of buy one save up for another.

Wesley you can send me a private message with details of that 1301.

And thanks to everyone, this discussion has consumed the greater part of thoughts today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2