Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Sierra GameChangers

No it's not a game changer in that sense, it's the actual name of the bullets.
    Just a quick look at Sierra's new hunting bullet, the GameChangers.

I am a super fan of Sierra, just don't use them much anymore because of stock availability and price, but I like to keep up with their lineup. The new bullets are not bonded, because Sierra of course doesn't make bonded bullets, instead they just make the jacket stronger and the alloy core harder.

From what I can see in the ballistic gel it holds up very nicely, and while the lineup is still limited the BC's of the 140g in 270 and especially the 165gr in 30 cal is something the plains shooter should be able to use very well.

Two videos with gel testing, one from Sierra, and one from a normal user, where the bullet ends up looking the same.
    Time will tell how they perform in SA, but anyways, I like bullets, so just thought I'd share.

User

Default Re: Sierra GameChangers

Just an observation, the ogive looks rather secant to me, definitely not tangent, dunno if it's also a hybrid, but I bet my bottom dollar they will not be as forgiving when it comes to jump as normal Sierra bullets. So my early prediction will be that some users might be disappointed during ladder tests if they don't also play with seating depth.

User

Looking forward to thee getting here. I agree - the 140 grain 270 looks like it could be great in the Karoo👍👍

User

Damn, just when I thought I had hedged all my bets bullet wise, this comes up.
    Oh well, looks as though I will have to visit GS to find out when they will be available. My 308 is oddly fond of boat tails and the Hornady interlock is very accurate with my rifle. My current flavour is also 165 gn. Bagged my first Blue wildebeest with one in May HPBT 165gn. Expired very similarly to the one my mate shot with his 180 gn from a dirty 0 6. They seem to run a bit further than other antelope after the shot even though the plumbing is severely compromised.

Long shots though, mine was a staggering 60 metre shot, really stretching my limits.

We have no supply issues down here and get good discounts on purchases of more than one box, then a frequent flyer discount on top of that.

User

Interesting they say the bullets list 30gn that is 18% On the 165 and 21% on the 140gn not sure which one they measured.

I am hard and fast into monolithic bullets now that I have shot them for a few seasons.

Have any of you tried Ballistix Bullets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User

I was looking forward to trying these, but they are crazy expensive in the RSA. Like completely disproportionately expensive compared to the Gamekings.

A packet of .30 cal Gamekings 165gr will cost you $33 in the States. Here they cost R799.

A pack of the same weight Gamechangers retails for $45. But in SA they will set you back... wait for it... a wopping R1395!!!

In my book thats just insane and at that price I'd rather shoot one of the bonded bullets. Someone (like the importers/agents) lost the plot here.

User

Was also keen to try these, then saw the pricing...ouch... Luckily have some GameKing's left :)

User

BuT the imported bonded bullets have also become crazily expensive - the new price on .30 cal Accubonds here in the Cape is around R850 for 50!

User

I saw these on the Sierra site the other day looking for ballistic info on their other bullets. To me it looks like something they made to fill a gap that isn't there. The bullet has a great BC, that's true, .530 on a 165gr hunting bullet really is fantastic, but the accuracy that guy reached doesn't look all that promising to me. Also, if you look at the bullets in that video, you'll see the transparent tip has "bubbles" in them. And those bubbles aren't all in the same position or centre, meaning those bullets aren't properly balanced. That explains that lack of accuracy, if you can call it that. They're not bad, I just don't see why you'd want to shoot a hunting bullet at that price, unbonded, that loses that amount of weight in a soft target, that is designed to be a contender to a match bullet. And at match bullet prices, there are better options, like the Tipped Match King they make now as well. Cheaper and better ballistics. This doesn't make all that much sense to me.

I'll rather stick to the normal Gamekings. For now. Maybe if they make this in a 180gr offering in .30 I'll look at it again.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    And those bubbles aren't all in the same position or centre, meaning those bullets aren't properly balanced. That explains that lack of accuracy, if you can call it that.
    No, that will not do anything.

If you have shot enough lead tipped bullets then you will know even with serious deformation of the tip the bullets still shoots accurately, and lead is about 12 times heavier than plastic. What will however happen over distance with the lead is the BC will not be optimized, and results will vary, this will not happen with the plastic tipped bullets. If people struggle to shoot these accurately then it will be because of what I mentioned in post 2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast