Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tragic loss

User

Default Re: Tragic loss

Training a pup not to bark at or attack a snake is not easy, sorry for his loss.

User

In 2018 I wrote about a friend who lost his GSP to a snakebite in the field. For about 4 years he worked very closely with the GSP breeder from whom he got his first pup. They ran their dogs almost every day together and he gained a wealth of experience and knowledge. Following the death of the breeder earlier this year, he has taken over the dogs and the breeding.

This past Saturday I had the privilege of spending the day wingshooting with my friend over two of his amazing GSPs - Ariadne and Piros. And what a great day it was. Great company, plenty birds, more than 25 points, some great shots and a good subsistence bag of spurfowl. We walked 18km on the day so we got some good exercise too. But the highlight was watching the dogs work and seeing them on point. Here is a pic of Ariadne pointing.

Ariadne.jpg

Banned

This is something on my bucket-list

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    In 2018 I wrote about a friend who lost his GSP to a snakebite in the field. For about 4 years he worked very closely with the GSP breeder from whom he got his first pup. They ran their dogs almost every day together and he gained a wealth of experience and knowledge. Following the death of the breeder earlier this year, he has taken over the dogs and the breeding.

This past Saturday I had the privilege of spending the day wingshooting with my friend over two of his amazing GSPs - Ariadne and Piros. And what a great day it was. Great company, plenty birds, more than 25 points, some great shots and a good subsistence bag of spurfowl. We walked 18km on the day so we got some good exercise too. But the highlight was watching the dogs work and seeing them on point. Here is a pic of Ariadne pointing.

Ariadne.jpg
    Wonderful to see. Cant believe so much time has passed since your last post.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tracker View Post
    The bond which develops between a hunter and his dog cannot be explained to normal people.
    Time and great effort goes into training a good dog, occasionally we get lucky and receive a puppy with great potential and are able to give it the time and effort to develop it to its full potential.
    What happen to your friend is indeed tragic and very sad.
    My advice is getting another dog from the same breeder immediately.
    Limit your veld training to between early April and early September.
    I know the temptation is to train all year, but in Africa, the temperature dictates when you are more lightly to encounter a snake.
    The trauma and despair that goes with losing a dog in this manner is just too much.
    Also if dogs are transported in trailers. Most people make the trailer air tight to prevent dust entering the trailer. When they transport dogs a vent is left open.
    I have witnessed a hunter/field trailer arrive at a venue, open his trailer and three of his dog had suffocated. Somewhere along the route the vent closed. He had traversed from the Free State to Dullstroom .That day several grown men cried.
    We must learn from tragic situations and adapt our behaviour accordingly.
    When i posted the comment above i did not know would be living the same nighmare 6 months later

Dimitri , we the breeder Kostas Gerakis ( spelling)

Last saw Kostas in Dullstroom in April 2019 , shortly before he got ill.
    On that day my pointer FTch Fairwood Dino was bitten by Puffadder and did not make it.
    The sad part was the I had left with at the Vet in Lydenburg as he was not well enough to travel.
    He was my shadow, and he died alone, and that really really sad.
    For all the hard work and pleasure he gave he desrved more.

When i posted the comment above i did not know would be living the same nighmare 6 months later

Dimitri , we the breeder Kostas Gerakis ( spelling)

Last saw Kostas in Dullstroom in April 2019 , shortly before he got ill.
    On that day my pointer FTch Fairwood Dino was bitten by Puffadder and did not make it.
    The sad part was the I had left with at the Vet in Lydenburg as he was not well enough to travel.
    He was my shadow, and he died alone, and that really really sad.
    For all the hard work and pleasure he gave he desrved more.
    What was Fairwood Dino's breeding?

User

Sire Rezends Zeus --FT Ch Rezendes Ruff --Rezendes Sheba

Dame Diva Vom Grundleeinhof (imp Germany)-- IMO VomMucken Borm-- Alice Vom Grundleeinhof

Dino was breed by Frank Poretti

Thanks. I've had a few dogs from Frank, they were good. I think Sheba was owned by Bruce Welgemoed? If so I've seen her many times. They've bred some nice dogs.

User

Dino was the 17th Ft cH Frank had breed and Bruce was my training partner when Sheba was alive
    IMG_6254.jpg

Dino

Dino was the 17th Ft cH Frank had breed and Bruce was my training partner when Sheba was alive
    IMG_6254.jpg

Dino
    Cool. Had some good times with Bruce, he's a good guy. Many miles with him over the years in the Eastern Cape. Loved his dogs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast