Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Value of a rimfire vs .223

Considering most of us here shoot a lot more than hunt during the year, there is value in something like a bolt action .22 to supplement your hunting calibres.However, for the price of a CZ 455 .22, you can also get a Howa 223 Mini action.Is the 223 a worthy alternate for a rimfire or is it a total different category.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Considering most of us here shoot a lot more than hunt during the year, there is value in something like a bolt action .22 to supplement your hunting calibres.However, for the price of a CZ 455 .22, you can also get a Howa 223 Mini action.Is the 223 a worthy alternate for a rimfire or is it a total different category.
    22lr is a bit cheaper to shoot, the 223 can shoot a bit (a lot) farther. Both are great guns to have.

User

Default Re: Value of a rimfire vs .223

Ideally, you should have one of each. The real question is which one to buy first.

My vote goes to the 22. It is much cheaper to shoot and you don't have to bother with reloading. Just shoot it. This can teach you a lot of maksmanship skills, that can later be transferred to the 223.

Most ranges and clubs have competitions for 22 rifles, so you can measure your progress and have a lot of fun doing it.

If the CZ sounds a bit expensive, remember that a good 22 rifle will last almost forever and likely keep it's value for many generations. Of course there are cheaper options avaiable, but I have never met a shooter who regrets buying a quality 22 rifle. The same can not be said about the cheapies.

User

I picked up an old (but excellent condition and very accurate) .22 Bruno for about R3000. Seemed very easy to do the motivation and was approved quickly.
    Look out for ammo specials and buy a brick of 500 rounds for a couple hundred rand. So fun to shoot, as mentioned there are regular .22 competitions.
    My 7 yr daughter & 9 year old son often come to the range with me to learn safe firearm handling, they now shoot that .22 better than me!

User

I'm craving a .22lr. Even the cheapest of the cheapest ones are adequately accurate and TONS of fun to shoot. VERY cheap as well and a lekker little rifle to have around if you're in the market for game birds and so on as well.

User

I do not have a 223 yet, but enjoy my licensed .22lr firearms tremendously. They are great as a general range toy and when I was young, I walked around on my uncle's farm and downed many a guineafowl, duck, pigeon etc with it. This was an old CBC bolt action rifle. I also thoroughly enjoy my Beretta 70 (as used by the Mossad in the 1970's to 80's to arm the air marshals). I have also introduced many a person to the joys of shooting firearms with my .22lr's.

I currently own 5 variants.

The rifles can be quite finicky about which brand of ammo to use, but this gets sorted out very quickly.

User

Adding to the sentiment of all the other posts here, it is my opinion that every firearms owner should at least own a .22 LR rifle.

I especially enjoy mine on the range when I do load development and have to wait a certain amount of time between shots or strings of shots. During that time I just do some fun plinking with the .22 LR.

User

What I love most about a .22lr is that you can teach someone the basic of shooting with a real firearm without the recoil and loud noises that instantly manufactures a flinch in most new shooters. It's also lekker to play with on farms and you can shoot close to anywhere since it doesn't make much noise at all.

User

Every true rifle enthusiast needs at least a CZ/Brno .22. I’m replacing mine now with a new Varmint model. I was underwhelmed by offerings from other manufacturers and reviews all point towards the CZ’s. If and when the Tikka T1x arrives I’ll need that too.

But that said, everything a .22lr can teach you, you can get for much less money and effort in a PCP air rifle.

You’ll need a .223 as well, and a 6.5 Grendel.

User

What about a Ruger 10/22? It is cheaper than the bolt actions and more fun. Although it will require a sec. 16 and I am not sure about the longevity of the 10/22 action.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast