Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Value of a rimfire vs .223

A good .22 is good to have. I have 2 rifles and 1 pistol in .22 LR. If you only want to buy 1 rifle and need to choose between .223 or .22 LR, I would go for a .223 Ammo is more expensive, but at least you can use it for more. Vermin shooting, long range target shooting etc With a .22 LR you are really constricted to targets and plinking.

I read a lot of "Fun rifle" and "Play" etc. Remember a .22 LR is seriously lethal!

Ive got a mint Walther KKM single shot target 22lr. But too heavy for most days but incredibly accurate.

Have a about 2 year old CZ 455 in 22lr. Which is an amazing rifle over the older CZ/RNO mark 2's. In my opinion. More compact and very accurate 22lr.

Also have older Winchester 22lr Lever Action which is very comapct. But mainly have this for my 11 year old daughter to shoot due to size which fits a kid perfect.

Recently got a CZ 527 in 22h which is cheap to load and packs more punch then a 22lr.

Im currently on backorder list fr a CZ in 222rem. As I dont want 223.

User

Is there varying barrel lengths to choose from in the new CZ 455 22lr range or is it all the same lenght?

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Im currently on backorder list fr a CZ in 222rem. As I dont want 223.
    As a matter of interest, why would you rather go with the .222 than the .223?

I got myself the CZ 455 lux a few years ago and never regretted it. It shoots any ammo you feed accurately. I know allot of guys say that their 22’s prefer a certain brand of ammo but I have shot a fair variety out of my gun and can't say that one did better than the other brand. I will add that it likes fast ammo like the winchester ultra velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    As a matter of interest, why would you rather go with the .222 than the .223?
    222rem use to be the old Benchrest caliber. Its just one of those calibers thats known for its accuracy.
    Although the 223 and 222 uses same bullets. The 222rem is much more accurate on paper then a 223.

As ill be using it on range mostly. I rather want more accuracy then less.
    223's you can play with weight to match the twist rate.
    But wont get to beat a 222 on paper

User

Quote Originally Posted by Duimpie View Post
    What about a Ruger 10/22? It is cheaper than the bolt actions and more fun. Although it will require a sec. 16 and I am not sure about the longevity of the 10/22 action.
    Yes, everyone NEEDS one of those!

They are quite tough and should fire a few hundred thousand rounds before any major parts failures.

Cons:
    1. Factory trigger is hard to control well, especially for accurate shooting.
    2. Not as accurate a a typical bolt action rifle.
    3. Your ammo budget will be depleted soon. Very soon.

Pros:
    1. Huge fun to shoot, especially in timed events.
    2. Highly configurable with many after-market parts available, even to us in SA.

I have a 10/22 set up in a aftermarket stock with adjustable M4-style buttstock. This allows all my kids and myself to adjust LOP with just a click to fit all of us well. My kids just love shooting it.

However, when they grew big enough to handle the bolt action 22 rifle (with fixed stock) they quickly took a liking to it. Given a choice when shooting vermin ect, they choose the bolt gun first.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

A Ruger 10/22, if not having something better, can also be used as a serious home defence firearm. In constriction with the law with regards to firearm use to be kept in mind though.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    A Ruger 10/22, if not having something better, can also be used as a serious home defence firearm. In constriction with the law with regards to firearm use to be kept in mind though.
    Besides the obvious terminal ballistics deficiencies of the 22LR round, also consider the reliability issues that any 22LR gun has. This is not a weapon problem, but relates to the rimfire priming system. Any make of 22LR ammo has the occasional misfire, and some makes have more.

So yes, a 10/22 can be pressed into defensive duties in an emergency, but it stays a gamble.

I don’t know about a bolt action 223 but I must admit I really enjoy my brno 22. Really accurate, cheap to shoot and will just keep on going.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast