Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Vervet Monkeys

Default Vervet Monkeys

Does anyone know the law on shooting vervets in KZN?

In Eastern Cape, hunting gazette stipulates no bag limit all year round.

In KZN, hunting gazette does not mention vervets.

User

Default Re: Vervet Monkeys

The waters are some what muddied here with regards to vervets. There is a very strong pro lobby here promoting their well being and fiercely opposing any control measures at all.
    The public is led to believe, through the media that they are on the IUCN red list of threatened or endangered species.
    The reality is quite different. The lack of mention in the gazette is no surprise.

Check out Durban monkey helpline to get an idea of what you are up against. Example below.

Vervet monkeys are protected in terms of both national and provincial conservation legislation and also in terms of national animal protection legislation, and injuring or killing them is an offence!
    Vervet monkeys are NOT classified as “vermin”.

I know that the guy running that helpline is trying to stimulate sympathy and keep his charity running by putting fear into the public about the velvets being threatened.

He is quoting BS as they are classified as vermin in the Eastern Cape.

Mpumalanga makes not mention of the velvets but I know the Mpumalanga state park's vet and he said it was ok to shoot them provided you did not sell the carcass.

I might try phone KZN wildlife anonymously.

User

Might not be vermin but they're not protected and can be hunted as you like on private property (obviously observing local statutes like city ordinances etc). No bag limits although you'll do well to shoot a large number in a day!

User

Desperatezulu you are correct.
    I deviated somewhat and did not answer the question. No restrictions, landowners consent and you are good to go.
    Do avoid posting pictures etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean KZN View Post
    Desperatezulu you are correct.
    I deviated somewhat and did not answer the question. No restrictions, landowners consent and you are good to go.
    Do avoid posting pictures etc.
    Thanks for the response.

Won't be silly and post pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    Might not be vermin but they're not protected and can be hunted as you like on private property (obviously observing local statutes like city ordinances etc). No bag limits although you'll do well to shoot a large number in a day!
    My record is 5 vervets in 10 minutes shot at 15m from a concealed hide.

They are buggers to pursue in the field. I shoot with a friend on his farm and we work them from two sides maintaining radio contact.

User

Desperatezulu can you point to any legislation stating what in kzn is protected.

Unfortunately most websites claim these critters are protected and I would like to be able to point to something proving otherwise

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Desperatezulu can you point to any legislation stating what in kzn is protected. Unfortunately most websites claim these critters are protected and I would like to be able to point to something proving otherwise Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Very very few people, and especially the bunny-huggers, know the difference between a Samango monkey and a Vervet monkey. The former is protected.

User

Understood AR and I realise there is not a formal list of what not protected. That said I am sure there is a list of what is protected and if vervets are not on that it stands to treason that they are not protected. I am looking for such a list on something like kzn wildlifes website.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast