Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Vervet Monkeys

User

Default Re: Vervet Monkeys

regardless two step is................................................ ................................. b a n n e d

its a very real possibility in natal that someone would have come across a dying monkey and taken it home for the pot, bush meat is a thing here

regardless of "what should he have done", what he DID do was stupid end of.

Two-Step should not be used by anybody with half a brain. It's terrible stuff.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    regardless two step is................................................ ................................. b a n n e d

its a very real possibility in natal that someone would have come across a dying monkey and taken it home for the pot, bush meat is a thing here

regardless of "what should he have done", what he DID do was stupid end of.
    Remember now, this IS the debate at hand, the fact that someone did something incorrectly to try and resolve a problem not being properly addressed, it's the modus operandi of SA.

Crime, nothing done, corruption, nothing done, hate speech from one side, nothing done, incompetence, nothing done.

When you have a problem, and the people responsible for addressing the problem is useless, then people will take it upon themselves to try and resolve the problem. Take a cat or dog owner, both pets live indoors but the owner leaves a window open for the cat, or a small doggy door for his poodle, the owner now sits with a problem that he comes back to a ransacked home each day, with a slightly traumatized pet. Phoning the authorities does nothing, remember SA, useless, so what is he to do? Stress and irritability builds up, desperation kicks in and a person not qualified to address the problem tries to resolve it. It's like a medical condition someone is not qualified to resolve, I like to think of it as the voortrekker tooth ache syndrome. You see they had no dentists so whenever they were in real pain they would stick all sorts of weird sh!t in their mouths in hope it would give some relief.

You sit with a real problem, nobody will resolve the problem, problems does not go away if ignored, and people do stuff out of their own. You cannot blame the person, the person acted on a problem but did not have the capacity to anticipate all potential complications. Not acting on a problem is the same as ignoring the problem, it makes things worse, and the more things get worse the more things will be done by unqualified people. It's like the warthog problem in my area with farmers, when the warthogs first arrived the farmers thought mmm, cute, now I can shoot some of them or get hunters to shoot them, so they left them. Nothing breeds like a pig, now the warthogs are destroying so much fences, the loss in livestock alone voids the possibility of any income from the warthogs for about 100 years ahead.

Whom do we, here, side with, those acting on problems that will never be addressed, or those not acting on problems, personally I see precious little difference between the two, SA is going down because of this exact issue.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    Any person using two step is a fucken retard. There are better ways to go about controlling the numbers.
    Yes there are but thanks for to the do gooders like monkey helpline they ate not options.

Ballito is at the point where where even a kid seen with a bb gun gets reported quick.

For a person trying to control the monkey numbers in their property it is easier to slyly drop a bit of poisoned food than try one of the better but more visual options.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    At one point they were culling the baboons in Cape Town with a silenced .22 not sure if it was Natcon or the City of CT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A lot depends on the municipality, the Problem Animal Contrrol Association was able to shoot problem animals in the city of JHB with silenced 22’s. The Shitty of Tahwane refused this.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Strange that the majority of us managed to live beside them for many years without being unduly terrorised. In all instances they were a 100 times more afraid of us than the other way around.So we occasionally lost the odd bit of fruit so what. If it really becomes a problem just use burglar bars or mesh with smaller openings. One of the real joys of Africa is the abundance of life. Just spend anytime around London etc and you start to realise just how devoid of life they are. Live and let live.
    Strange that the majority of us managed to live beside them for many years without being unduly terrorised. In all instances they were a 100 times more afraid of us than the other way around.So we occasionally lost the odd bit of fruit so what. If it really becomes a problem just use burglar bars or mesh with smaller openings. One of the real joys of Africa is the abundance of life. Just spend anytime around London etc and you start to realise just how devoid of life they are. Live and let live.
    Ja I'm all for live and let live. Done the burglar bars, cost 12 grand.

Thing is these are highly urbanised animals, encouraged by feeding, homes are places they find food, not steer away from.
    They know my house very well and will enter regardless of people present or not. They get through the burglar bars faster than a desperate whoonga addict looking for a quick steal. They get into home in tall buildings, like top floor of 10 stories, those closer to the city centre even know how to cross roads safely.
    Take a bit of fruit, right, I have and never will see a litchie off my tree, same for the macadamia nut tree that is still a few years away from producing, avos get tasted and tossed while green.
    Every year I see the population increase so where will it top out, or just more feeding stations to look after more monkeys,
    No, common sense has to prevail.
    Monkey tastes ok as well and I know many who would like some but the risk of topping them, even with a silenced PCP is just too great here.

User

The province of KZN is still subject to the Nature Conservation Ordinanace of 1974. This law has not changed yet, although it is being redrafted.
    Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife has confirmed that the ordinance is in effect. They are NOT protected. There is NO Bag limit. You need land owner consent. And to not shoot them in contravention of other bylaws or laws. Then you can shoot them.

User

has anything changed since we last discussed? anyone have any good ideas? the vervet issue hasnt changed on my side, i can confirm that much. I have also notived an increase in Hadedas in the past few months.

User

Mo, couple of weeks ago my neighbour went out and left the windows open on upstairs extension. Was funny watching, first one comes out with a loaf of bread, next a flood go in, pulled a cake out in pieces, eggs dropping all over, the okes dog was beside himself, but could do nothing. Nice hot summer day, took a chance on 1 window, worked out badly.
    They got home to a helluva mess, entire kitchen ransacked, crap all over, really cheered the oke up.

No nothings changed.

On Hadedas, when eskom started the last load shedding game, I switched off my pool pump, put in some water lillies in pots, added sword tails and Mozambique Tilapia and let things happen. Hadedas, got a lot of visitors from them, best was an Egyptian goose, and the cream was a Cormorant. Oddly no Kingfishers.

But ja, people feel the need to feed Hadedas, definitely a lot more of them around. Ok if you don't like sleeping past 4 in the morning.

User

will probably build a “monkey proof”green house to plant this year.

Were the plants ok with the pool water? Sounds cool. To have a pond in your backyard. How is the upkeep?

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast