Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Default Re: .22 pistol for SD?

I have a 28 and I love it BUT it is not nearly reliable enough with off the shelf ammo for defensive purposes - the gun is however 100% reliable with any of the hotter brands of ammo but this adds to the recoil pulse that can be quite severe due to the blowback action.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Preacher View Post
    I have a 28 and I love it BUT it is not nearly reliable enough with off the shelf ammo for defensive purposes - the gun is however 100% reliable with any of the hotter brands of ammo but this adds to the recoil pulse that can be quite severe due to the blowback action.
    Thank you for you post. Many speak through their behinds ..
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Preacher View Post
    Interesting, thanks.

User

What about looking at something like an Astra Cadix revolver in .22. Holds 9 rounds, can get HKS speed loaders and is available in 2” 4” & 6” barrel configurations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Fast reloading using a speed loader take much more practice to get it smooth and fast, as apposed to simply inserting a magazine. The advantage over the revolver is that when a round does not fire, you can simply pull the trigger again.
    Finding an Asta Cadix might be a bit of a problem. Finding spare parts for the Astra Cadix could present an even bigger problem.

User

My wife also has RA in her hands. Some days are better and some days worse. She has been struggling with recoil for some time now and the pain caused by it made her develop bad habits (Not really bad habits such as flinching, but if something causes severe pain you end up just firing the shot in the way that causes the least pain and not doing the basics right)

Her SD gun at the moment is a G26. By working on her technique she can reliably run it and do all the immediate action drills. By doing a lot of experimenting with different powders I found a 147gr load that recoils almost nothing but reliably cycles the gun (and still makes 130 PF, believe it or not). And I'm going to load carry ammo for her using 147gr HP bullets. I would rather have her able to drill an attacker with multiple 147 grainers at 900 fps than miss with the newest most effective Ranger/PDX/PDF/Zapper/RIP load that recoils too much.

If a person has such severe pain and hand strength problems that they can ONLY use / operate a .22; then yes a .22 might be the only option. But something like a G19 will still be easier to load and shoot. And at the cost of conceal-ability one can add a small WML to it to weight the gun and reduce recoil. The first time I shot a Glock with a WML on it I was shocked at how much less the gun recoils.

User

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    My wife also has RA in her hands. Some days are better and some days worse. She has been struggling with recoil for some time now and the pain caused by it made her develop bad habits (Not really bad habits such as flinching, but if something causes severe pain you end up just firing the shot in the way that causes the least pain and not doing the basics right)

Her SD gun at the moment is a G26. By working on her technique she can reliably run it and do all the immediate action drills. By doing a lot of experimenting with different powders I found a 147gr load that recoils almost nothing but reliably cycles the gun (and still makes 130 PF, believe it or not). And I'm going to load carry ammo for her using 147gr HP bullets. I would rather have her able to drill an attacker with multiple 147 grainers at 900 fps than miss with the newest most effective Ranger/PDX/PDF/Zapper/RIP load that recoils too much.

If a person has such severe pain and hand strength problems that they can ONLY use / operate a .22; then yes a .22 might be the only option. But something like a G19 will still be easier to load and shoot. And at the cost of conceal-ability one can add a small WML to it to weight the gun and reduce recoil. The first time I shot a Glock with a WML on it I was shocked at how much less the gun recoils.
    A G25 or 28 or a Smith Shield 380 EZ may be an option here as well..

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    A G25 or 28 or a Smith Shield 380 EZ may be an option here as well..
    I just Googled this now...It makes a lot of sense. I found the "NRA gun of the week" video, don't know how to post a link though...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7