User

Default Exco Communique - Update on relationship with IDPA

Cross-posted here with the aim of reaching as many members as possible

Dear members

In line with our previous communication where SADPA Exco indicated it was in communication with IDPA HQ to resolve some concerns Exco had, the following:

In order to run IDPA shooting in South Africa well after the changes enforced by IDPA HQ, the IPOC and Exco have secured agreement from IDPA HQ that SADPA will operate as a mega-club representing all shooters in South Africa. All South African clubs will affiliate to SADPA, as will shooters at South African clubs albeit at the reduced annual membership fee of R265 for regular shooters.

Understandably, not everyone will agree with this course of action but it offers the following advantages:

• The financial burden on clubs, especially our many smaller clubs, will be reduced.
    • The administrative burden on clubs will remain as before. The SADPA Administrator or, if required, the IPOC will assist with any administrative issues with IDPA. Where clubs are willing and able, access and rights to upload match scores, classifications etc will be given to designated club members. It is expected that this will grow as time goes by and SADPA members get more familiar with IDPA's database (once their new website is working properly!).
    • SADPA as a vehicle to aid the IPOC in running IDPA in South Africa remains in place. It is impossible for the IPOC to run IDPA in South Africa without a working committee of some sort. Love it or hate it, SADPA is needed to coordinate local matches (especially Tier 2 and up), coordinate SO training and several administrative functions that members may not even be aware of. If SADPA needs to morph into a different structure or format, this can now be done gradually in line with the provisions of our Constitution.
    • We preserve the achievements to date as SADPA has grown. In particular, there is no threat (from this change at least) to lose accredited status with CFR. Our recent registration as not-for-profit entity with SARS does not go to waste.
    • Changes affecting the average member are limited to an absolute minimum.

Unfortunately, the one thing we can not change is the annual membership fee of $40 payable to IDPA as this is what aligns us now to IDPA around the globe. I stress again that this is a normalisation of IDPA's relationship with us, our members are now contributing financially and are administered exactly the same as IDPA shooters from Kenya, Pakistan and everywhere else. We acknowledge that we are currently experiencing financially trying times but my personal belief remains that IDPA, through SADPA, still represent incredible value to shooters - any other code in South Africa is either more expensive or in a very different match and social setting.

For those clubs that have taken the initiative and affiliated with IDPA directly, we thank you for your pro-active approach in embracing the change. Please embrace this new change with the same enthusiasm. I'm not sure if we can convince IDPA HQ to refund those club affiliation fees but if not, we will find another way to compensate the affected clubs financially and face the music for that at the AGM.

The bottom line is that we continue, for better or worse, much the same way we have been operating. Changes are limited to the affiliation fee to IDPA payable by each member and a slightly revised join-up process for new members with which the Administrator can assist. On that note, I was positively surprised when reviewing our bank statements recently - we still have steady membership growth evidenced by the membership fees transferred into our operating account.

If you are not happy with this change (or anything else) I urge you to get involved in the running of SADPA. Commentary on Facebook posts or angry emails are not part of the process through which SADPA is run, SADPA is run by elected officials that are accountable to members at the AGM (or SGMs, if called in accordance with the SADPA Constitution). You can replace those officials by electing others you deem more capable. If, by your action or inaction, Exco remains filled with officials you are dissatisfied with, the fault lies with you for failing to find willing candidates that better represent your views and not succeeding in rallying the required support for those candidates. Evidence of this apathy that begets what you have is poor attendance at the AGM and that more often than not, Exco members are appointed by default, only one willing candidate being available.

Yours in shooting,

JA Hoogenboezem
    SADPA Chairman
    Last edited by Tetelestai; 18-10-2018 at 23:10. Reason: Formatting

User

Default Re: Exco Communique - Update on relationship with IDPA

User

Cool, thanks for the update JA

User

I feel this is an incredibly fair proposal, and to me it looks like the EXCO really did tyr to put SADPA members first (although we love to cry that they don't).

I say this great work from the EXCO & IPOC.

I feel bad now that I was pushing our local club to affiliate with IDPA. This is obviously a much better solution, thank you SADPA and sorry my wonderful local club for being an ass last week.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TheFogg View Post
    I feel bad now that I was pushing our local club to affiliate with IDPA. This is obviously a much better solution, thank you SADPA and sorry my wonderful local club for being an ass last week.
    I'm not sure how big of an ass you were but up until yesterday afternoon when we received the letter from IDPA, what you motivated was the right thing to do!

As an IDPA member, when I register directly with IDPA, nowhere does it say that I have to be a member of any third party shooting association, or even in fact a club member. You can have IDPA membership without club affiliation.

When I register directly as an IDPA member, I expect to be an IDPA member like all the other IDPA members are in the world.

When I signed up to SADPA, and SADPA is affiliated to IDPA in the background, I did not have that expectation, because I'm paying SADPA to manage my membership, abiding by SADPA rules, and giving them permission to act on my behalf.

Now I have to pay my membership directly to IDPA, but SADPA are telling me I can't shoot IDPA unless I sign up with them as well.

When I sign up directly as an IDPA member, nowhere do I give, or have to give, SADPA permission to act on my behalf, and IDPA does not inform me that I am required to be a member of SADPA, and restrict my IDPA participation, because I'm from South Africa.

As I am now an SADPA member, I have given SADPA permission by virtue of my membership to make this agreement of managing IDPA in South Africa in this way.

However, I do not agree with it. I'm not a captive revenue source for anyone. I choose to withdraw from IDPA, and will consider affiliating myself to other established shooting associations.
    Last edited by 414gates; 15-11-2018 at 20:43. Reason: grammar