Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Looking for opinions

Seems you do not really want opinions after all.

Shop around. You kind find CZ P07s with night sights (CZ factory) for 8-9k. Arguably an equal to a Glock 19. You wont go wrong.

My rather inexperienced view is that the smaller the better. Get the smallest most shootable pistol you can tolerate. G43, Shield, G26, and the P07/G19. The smaller the lighter the less likely you will leave it at home.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by G@RFiELD View Post
    Hey all :)

New to the forum, so my apologies if this was better placed in general.

I am potentially looking at starting the FA License procedure in the next few months depending on budget, etc. I have been shooting at a range before work recently and now really want to get back into it.

Currently my starting options are:

CZ P-07
    Grand Power K100
    Rex Zero 1S (if I have a bigger budget)

I really cannot seem to like striker fired guns, honestly I haven't done much research into it but the look alone bothers me. (dumb I know) ... If I do go striker, maybe something like the Girsan MC28.

I grew up shooting a Beretta Mod 71, and I can get one for R2.5k, what is the general opinion of .22? ...

All advice would be appreciated.
    Regards

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    That's not really how your post reads.

So why, in fact, do you not like them?

What problems do you have with striker fired pistols?

Please remember this is all my opinion only

I know that safety starts with the operator and then the pistol, and I know striker fired guns are not super unsafe, I just don't like the idea of 1 in the chamber with half a trigger pull away from potentially shooting myself, and also in a high stress situation, a light trigger pull as your first pull is an easy way to get someone hurt if you aren't prepared.

Also when carrying one in the chamber, if you are not careful (I know, people need to practice) but it is easier for something to get caught on the trigger, or in haste after a SD situation you accidentally pull the trigger when going to holster, I like manual safeties.

Nobody is perfect.

Now I know you get striker fired guns with manual safeties, bottom line is my dad taught me using double action guns, I am not a fan of a striker fired. I have shot many Glocks, and recently a Girsan MC28. Still hasn't changed my opinion.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Seems you do not really want opinions after all.

Not at all actually, I contacted one of my friends earlier to ask if we can go shoot his pistols when I go to the range again. He has a G19 gen 4 and a Sig 226.

Can't afford a Sig but I will at least have tried something new to broaden my horizon so to speak.

I also recently shot my friends G27 which was horrible cause I couldn't get a decent grip with my big hands and he was running some very hot rounds. I am very open to suggestions, not a fan of Glock is all.

Just because I don't drink the Glock coolaid, doesn't mean I don't want opinions or options. There are other firearms out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikhwane View Post
    Shop around. You kind find CZ P07s with night sights (CZ factory) for 8-9k. Arguably an equal to a Glock 19. You wont go wrong.

My rather inexperienced view is that the smaller the better. Get the smallest most shootable pistol you can tolerate. G43, Shield, G26, and the P07/G19. The smaller the lighter the less likely you will leave it at home.

Good luck.

I have actually seen some really good deals on P-07s with aftermarket sights and with stock sights sitting around R8k ... That is the the gun that sparked me wanting to get back into shooting and potentially carrying

I can't go to small though, the MOD 70/71 I shot 2 weeks back, I had to have 1 finger under the mag cause it was just too squashed on the mag finger lip

User

Not at all actually, I contacted one of my friends earlier to ask if we can go shoot his pistols when I go to the range again. He has a G19 gen 4 and a Sig 226.

Can't afford a Sig but I will at least have tried something new to broaden my horizon so to speak.

I also recently shot my friends G27 which was horrible cause I couldn't get a decent grip with my big hands and he was running some very hot rounds. I am very open to suggestions, not a fan of Glock is all.

Just because I don't drink the Glock coolaid, doesn't mean I don't want opinions or options. There are other firearms out there.
    Where did I mention Glock?

I stick with my first opinion BTW.

User

Please remember this is all my opinion only

I know that safety starts with the operator and then the pistol, and I know striker fired guns are not super unsafe, I just don't like the idea of 1 in the chamber with half a trigger pull away from potentially shooting myself, and also in a high stress situation, a light trigger pull as your first pull is an easy way to get someone hurt if you aren't prepared.

Also when carrying one in the chamber, if you are not careful (I know, people need to practice) but it is easier for something to get caught on the trigger, or in haste after a SD situation you accidentally pull the trigger when going to holster, I like manual safeties.

Nobody is perfect.

Now I know you get striker fired guns with manual safeties, bottom line is my dad taught me using double action guns, I am not a fan of a striker fired. I have shot many Glocks, and recently a Girsan MC28. Still hasn't changed my opinion.
    Just remember, unless you have the safety installed and you are carrying cocked and locked, the P07 doesn't have a manual safety either. Just a decocker and a longer double action trigger pull.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by MANNY82 View Post
    Just remember, unless you have the safety installed and you are carrying cocked and locked, the P07 doesn't have a manual safety either. Just a decocker and a longer double action trigger pull.

I doubt I will carry with 1 in the chamber, not until I have many more hours of range time and carry time... Thanks for the input though, I completely forgot about the P07 not having a manual safety, been ready a ton this morning on the Rex, so must have gotten those 2 mixed... XD

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Where did I mention Glock?

I stick with my first opinion BTW.

So I don't want opinions if I don't want a striker fired gun or a Glock ?

I am asking cause that was my only initial and still standing objection... And even then the striker fired thing isn't a factor in the end, as there are many striker fired guns that are well priced and reliable (Glock, CZ, Girsan, FN) and if that is what the budget or availability leads to .. .then so be it

User

This is a common fear for a lot of people starting out, and it is resolved by training and practicing safe handling until it becomes second nature.

A heavy trigger pull and manual safety are not going to save you from bad habits. If going with a striker-fired gun makes you feel constantly aware and careful around handling the gun, that may even be for the best.

... there are many striker fired guns that are well priced and reliable (Glock, CZ, Girsan, FN) and if that is what the budget or availability leads to .. .then so be it
    I had never heard of Rex until today. Also, good luck getting accessories and parts for a Girsan or FN. It doesn't matter how cheap a gun is if you wind up needing a part that takes months or years to get. Just because the salesperson at your favourite gunshop is pushing it, does not make it a good option.

User

I doubt I will carry with 1 in the chamber, not until I have many more hours of range time and carry time... Thanks for the input though, I completely forgot about the P07 not having a manual safety, been ready a ton this morning on the Rex, so must have gotten those 2 mixed... XD
    Always carry one up. From day one.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast