User

Default Importing Magazines from the US

I have been looking for a Phoenix arms Raven 25acp magazine and found it on Phoenix Arms website for around $10, however they don't ship out of the US. Brownells don't stock them, and a lot of companies that do don't ship out of the US. One of the companies suggested having it shipped to someone in the States and have them send it over, however I find that it is a risky option. Another company said to fill in the order and they will get back to me. Is there an easy process of importing a magazine from the US ?

User

Default Re: Importing Magazines from the US

Guys in the US won't readily ship out magazines for fear of falling foul of ITAR.

I once managed to get some mags in via these chaps: https://airsupport.co.za/.

It was a while back so not sure if they're still be able to assist; but it's worth a try. Word of caution, don't expect the price to be 10*<current zar-usd exchange rate). Work on a multiple of 27 to get an indication of the the final landed price.

User

To comply with various bits of US law, it must be exported by a registered exporter, like Brownells. Contact them and see if they can do a special order for you.

Failing that, you can use a specialized exporter, like http://weexportguns.com/, but they will add a service fee ($50 last time I asked) over and above the item costs and shipping.

Failing that, you'll have to ask one of the local dealers to get their US exporter to add it on their next order.

Failing even that, you could try waiting. There are amendments in the works to ITAR and EAR to move small arms off ITAR and onto EAR instead, which would allow smaller dealers and manufacturers to start exporting magazines and parts without being registered exporters. I don't know when that's happening though - the proposed amendments were published in May, with the public comment period ending in July. I haven't searched too hard, but I haven't seen any news on it since then.

User

Thanks for the feedback, will try the suggestions. I tried Brownells, but they won’t be able to assist as the don’t keep these items.

User

Honestly you're going to end up spending more than the gun is worth to get a mag or two. Does it have sentimental value?

User

If I can get it locally, or cheap, I won’t mind, but I won’t spend an arm and a leg trying to get one. You are correct, I won’t spend more on it then it’s worth.