Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: NHSA endorsement problem

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    To add to shooty's sentiments, if you are not able to maintain your NHSA status within a year, then quite frankly you haven't even met the brief for shooting your firearm "occasionally".
    Are we going down the " I am more dedicated than you" rabbit hole again?

Life happens, shooting sport will take a back seat when for an example a financial crisis hits or something else makes getting trigger time difficult.

I have not hunted for 3 years due to working out of the country and I am really only home for a Saturday and Sunday once every 6 weeks. Should I really fly back home on a Friday and go hunting for the weekend to prove that I occasionally hunt, or should I just sell my Tikka T3 or should it be ok for me to be able to hunt when the opportunity arises at a later stage?

Seriously this line of thought needs to stop........

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post

Life happens, shooting sport will take a back seat when for an example a financial crisis hits or something else makes getting trigger time difficult.

I have not hunted for 3 years due to working out of the country and I am really only home for a Saturday and Sunday once every 6 weeks. Should I really fly back home on a Friday and go hunting for the weekend to prove that I occasionally hunt, or should I just sell my Tikka T3 or should it be ok for me to be able to hunt when the opportunity arises at a later stage?

SA Hunters have a form for people that have had a medical, work or other reasons for not being able to participate in hunting or range shooting when having dedicated status. So there are exceptions that will make it possible for your organisation to still endorse your dedicated status even if you have not actively participated. Many dedicated members dont know about this exemption.

User

With all due respect, I did not intend to "go down that rabbit hole again". So, my sincere apologies if this seems to be the sentiment behind my post.

The point that I want to bring forward is that if you got to the point where you have obtained DH or DSS, then you must surely have some intention of shooting at least "occasionally". Are you familiar with NHSA's minimum requirements for keeping DH or DSS? They really couldn't make it easier for anyone to keep their dedicated status. Since we all know that dedicated status itself is not bound to a particular firearm but rather to the person him-/herself, it doesn't necessitate that you shoot every single one of your DH or DSS licensed firearms "dedicatedly" every year. If you are not familiar with NHSA's requirements, feel free to have a look at this link. Three shooting activities a year, where you can shoot a single target with a minimum of 5 rounds, equate to 15 rounds a year that you need to shoot over three days. This can be as simple as shooting one or two magazine's worth of ammo out of your pistol for target practice. This is where I personally cannot agree more with the following statement from NHSA's website:
    We really cannot make the legally prescribed process of maintaining dedicated status more simple and more convenient to comply with than what is presented above, without starting to circumvent the prescribed legal process.
    NHSA even goes as far as saying:
    If you are unable to actually go on a hunt or participate in a sport shooting activity in a specific year all is not lost. There are many legitimate reasons why a dedicated member may not be able to participate; financial reasons, being out of the country, medical condition etc. You may then enter a non-Active report but there are some prerequisites to this. You should approach NHSA the moment you realise you will be in this position.
    For what reason do you intend to get dedicated status and not shoot at least 15 rounds of e.g. 9 mm P a year? And even given the fact that NHSA accounts for situations where you couldn't maintain your dedicated status, for what reason would you then want to get dedicated status but then just license your firearms under S15? The only reason for this could be to stock up on more than 200 rounds of ammo for your S15 firearms. If you can afford to stock up on more than 200 rounds of ammo for a particular firearm, surely you can afford the costs involved to shoot 15 rounds a year in order to maintain your dedicated status?

I have both DH and DSS at NHSA and I am by no means nearly as "dedicated" as some of the members on this forum. Although I am extremely passionate about firearms, I only shoot a few hundred rounds of handgun ammo a year at my own leisure, and have hunted only twice within the last 8 years. I am no stranger to the "lower level of dedicated", if there even is anything like that. Yet somehow, I have managed to maintain my dedicated status every single year since I have had my first license.

I really hope my humble view on this does not get seen as "going down that rabbit hole again". But I will in any case keep out of this discussion from now on. I have stated my view and opinion on this matter, and anybody is free to express their views and opinions on this matter as well.

To each his own...

Banned

SA Hunters have a form for people that have had a medical, work or other reasons for not being able to participate in hunting or range shooting when having dedicated status. So there are exceptions that will make it possible for your organisation to still endorse your dedicated status even if you have not actively participated. Many dedicated members dont know about this exemption.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wave.jaco View Post
    With all due respect, I did not intend to "go down that rabbit hole again". So, my sincere apologies if this seems to be the sentiment behind my post.

The point that I want to bring forward is that if you got to the point where you have obtained DH or DSS, then you must surely have some intention of shooting at least "occasionally". Are you familiar with NHSA's minimum requirements for keeping DH or DSS? They really couldn't make it easier for anyone to keep their dedicated status. Since we all know that dedicated status itself is not bound to a particular firearm but rather to the person him-/herself, it doesn't necessitate that you shoot every single one of your DH or DSS licensed firearms "dedicatedly" every year. If you are not familiar with NHSA's requirements, feel free to have a look at this link. Three shooting activities a year, where you can shoot a single target with a minimum of 5 rounds, equate to 15 rounds a year that you need to shoot over three days. This can be as simple as shooting one or two magazine's worth of ammo out of your pistol for target practice. This is where I personally cannot agree more with the following statement from NHSA's website:

NHSA even goes as far as saying:

For what reason do you intend to get dedicated status and not shoot at least 15 rounds of e.g. 9 mm P a year? And even given the fact that NHSA accounts for situations where you couldn't maintain your dedicated status, for what reason would you then want to get dedicated status but then just license your firearms under S15? The only reason for this could be to stock up on more than 200 rounds of ammo for your S15 firearms. If you can afford to stock up on more than 200 rounds of ammo for a particular firearm, surely you can afford the costs involved to shoot 15 rounds a year in order to maintain your dedicated status?

I have both DH and DSS at NHSA and I am by no means nearly as "dedicated" as some of the members on this forum. Although I am extremely passionate about firearms, I only shoot a few hundred rounds of handgun ammo a year at my own leisure, and have hunted only twice within the last 8 years. I am no stranger to the "lower level of dedicated", if there even is anything like that. Yet somehow, I have managed to maintain my dedicated status every single year since I have had my first license.

I really hope my humble view on this does not get seen as "going down that rabbit hole again". But I will in any case keep out of this discussion from now on. I have stated my view and opinion on this matter, and anybody is free to express their views and opinions on this matter as well.

To each his own...
    I am aware of the requirements for Natshoot, I have DHS and DSS with them as well as DSS with SAPSA.

The issue I see here and it is not applicable to me but merely an observation is that persons are being forced (for lack of better wording) into a S16 applications even if they want a S15 and a S15 will be good enough for their purposes regardless of the person having DSS status. I agree that a S16 is a better option in most cases but not all. This coupled with the perception that some hold that once you have DSS you no longer qualify for a S15 licence.

Playing devils advocate here but is the reasoning behind steering persons to S16 applications maybe due to retaining members? Theoretically speaking you have a member bound for a 10 year period.

User

I am aware of the requirements for Natshoot, I have DHS and DSS with them as well as DSS with SAPSA.

The issue I see here and it is not applicable to me but merely an observation is that persons are being forced (for lack of better wording) into a S16 applications even if they want a S15 and a S15 will be good enough for their purposes regardless of the person having DSS status. I agree that a S16 is a better option in most cases but not all. This coupled with the perception that some hold that once you have DSS you no longer qualify for a S15 licence.

Playing devils advocate here but is the reasoning behind steering persons to S16 applications maybe due to retaining members? Theoretically speaking you have a member bound for a 10 year period.
    You raise valid points and I see them in.

In the end everyone has to do what fits them best. Where there are inconsistencies regarding any (mis)conception and actual written law (e.g. no S15 licenses when you have DSS), there certainly needs to be an effort from those involved to get the facts straight.

For the folks who are interested, I asked in my earlier post if it is a requirement to have an endorsement for a S16 license as I've had licenses approved with and without an endorsement. I didn't want to jinx myself in that post stating I didn't hand one in with my latest app, so here it is now:

I applied in July for a shotgun a day before I flew overseas and completely forgot to add in/even apply for an endorsement from NHSA. The old "fuck it" was constantly going through my mind while flying for hours but what could I do, it was to late.

My license was approved on the 16th of this month and I'm awaiting the card.

Another moment of speculation with CFR. Do you really need an endorsement or is it just another document that is there for good measure to strengthen your application?

I've seen solid motivations with endorsements being declined, as if CFR doesnt really care that your association "approves" the need of your firearm to be licensed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4