Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Rangefinder suggestions

Hi all

I am in the market for a new rangefinder. Usage will be primarily hunting, so needs to be able to range animals and bushes. Budget will be R6k and under.

Just looking for recommendations/suggestions from those that use theirs regularly and if anyone has spotted any specials.

Cheers

Default Re: Rangefinder suggestions

Second hand Leica 1600-B. Or a if you need to have new one, a Vortex model.

User

I like the ATN Laser Ballistics LRF I bought earlier this year. It connects to an app on your phone via bluetooth for elevation adjustment calculations according to your scope and rifle information and it compares well with Strelok in my experience. It can also connect to ATN's line of scopes and do these adjustments automatically.

The Vortex is very compact.

I have used a Hawke 900 now for about 2 years.
    Alot. Use it for Hunting and Airrifle shooting.
    Was in your budget new. Im still happy with it.
    As it measures quick and reliable.
    Reckon there are many more expensive models with extra features. But it does exactly what i want it to do so happy.

Just remember when you shop or look.
    If the Rangefinder says 300m. It will not measure a Springbuck size animal at that distance.
    in manual they will explain. At its maximum distance it shows. The target you range needs to be big for laser. Example size of road sign on N1 big size. Laser in away moves out in cone shape and goes bigger and bigger at distance. While more longer distance model this cone shape stays smaller

So if you know you want to measure regularly 200 to 300m. Your range finder needs to be at least 500m plus rated.
    As then at 200 to 300 the target size will be Buck size. And at 500 the large sign size.

I took the 900m model from Hawke. And easily have Done Gemsbuck and Blesbuck at 500m measure.

Really a buy once cry less item. In my experiance seeing what the guys use at gongs/log range shoots. These are the only ones that are usedaccurately.

Sig Kilo
    Leica 1600/2000/2400/2700 - these seem to be the gold standard
    Vortex - not the entry level ones.

User

Quote Originally Posted by johanvb View Post
    Second that.

User

Get that second hand Leica, or one like it. I've been through the whole exercise. There are few things as frustrating as trying to range an animal and your rangefinder refuse to give a reading. And there is not always a bush or large rock close to your quarry.

User

Can't go wrong with any of the previous suggestions. Earlier this year I bought a Nikon Prostaff 7 at a very good sale price, and I've been very happy with it. As shooty says, get one that is rated for double the distance you anticipate ranging.

I'd also suggest getting one with 6x or higher magnification. It then starts becoming a useful "glassing" tool as well. Of course it's not the same as high power binoculors, but then it's also signficantly less heavy and bulky to carry.

User

I bought a LEUPOLD RX-1600i TBR/W from S&O for R6 095.00 last week. Played with it and like it a lot.

What would your opinions be about it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast