Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fitting a free float M-Lok or quad rail to a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 with a FSB

Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    Good day. I am considering buying an AR-15 type rifle for DMG. I was considering the above mentioned rifle but would like to install a free float rail at some stage. How difficult and costly will this typically be and could one keep the fixed front sight? Also, would the fixed front sight interfere with a RDS? The reason I am asking is that I can get a Sig Sauer M400 elite (without the RDS) with a free float M-Lok handrail for about R25k, and although initially outside of my budget I might reconsider it should the hassle of fitting a free float be too much. I have not owned any semi-automatic rifles before so my experience is quite limited.
    I'd go for the M400 Elite, couldn't be happier with it. I also found it pricey at first but didn't regret for 1 second.

User

Default Re: Fitting a free float M-Lok or quad rail to a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2 with a FSB

Quote Originally Posted by b20 View Post
    Thanks CH

Do you think that a two piece free float rail might be something worth thinking about?

I know it might sound silly, but personally I really like the A2 FSB and really want to keep it.
    Maybe being completely stupid here - can you even get a 2 piece free float rail?

User

Maybe being completely stupid here - can you even get a 2 piece free float rail?
    You can from low end manufacturers like NC star and leapers, but buyer beware. I think you'd be better off with a Magpul SL fore end.

User

Thanks CH

Do you think that a two piece free float rail might be something worth thinking about?

I know it might sound silly, but personally I really like the A2 FSB and really want to keep it.
    If you're set on keeping the fixed FSB type look. Why not have a look at a Troy or Daniel Defence Fixed front sight that attaches to a rail?
    It's the kind of look I went with on my 300blk build, on my original M&P Sport I just used a Troy folding BUIS on a 15" Rail. Not that it's ever been used as such other than to practice with irons.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    If you're set on keeping the fixed FSB type look. Why not have a look at a Troy or Daniel Defence Fixed front sight that attaches to a rail?
    It's the kind of look I went with on my 300blk build, on my original M&P Sport I just used a Troy folding BUIS on a 15" Rail. Not that it's ever been used as such other than to practice with irons.
    Thanks Stevin

Do you have a pic of your 300blk build?

User

Thanks Stevin

Do you have a pic of your 300blk build?

Stand Alone, and a comparison between it and the Sport 1 with gold down front sight.

User

Awesome man! Very nice!

On the blk, what is the sight picture light through the optics? assume you using a riser to get a 1/3 co-witness?

User

Awesome man! Very nice!

On the blk, what is the sight picture light through the optics? assume you using a riser to get a 1/3 co-witness?
    I don't even see the front sight post as such. With a Red Dot (or any single plane sighting system), my focus is on where I want the bullet to go and I put the dot / reticle there.

I previously had a Sig Romeo 5 which is absolute co witness and it was much the same. I sold it off because I prefer a lower 1/3 so used the red dot from the 5.56 and fitted a variable to that.

That said if you look for it you can see it. The front post doesn't even really bug me on a magnified optic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2