Thread: Shooting Club

User

Default Shooting Club

Hi Guys,

I am hoping someone here has some knowledge about the following and can guide me in the right direction.

So one of our local ranges has recently built a Pistol range that can be used to setup different scenario's etc, so basically stages for IPSC/IDPA and the like can be setup in there.

What we want to do is start a small shooting club, but we have some questions that we need answering.

At the range there is a bench rest club already, but they obviously want to stay focused on what they do.

So my questions:

1. What is the requirements from a legal point of view to start a shooting club?
    2. What type of club would you recommend, because we do not want to tie ourselves to a specific discipline like IDPA/IPSC at the moment, but would want to do a little bit of everything, and have a lot of freedom on stage design etc. In the future we might tie ourselves to a specific discipline but not yet. We all like IDPA, IPSC and we also want to do 3-Gun type of shoots.
    3. What is the requirements regarding RO's?
    4. How to become an RO? There will be an RO course presented early next year, but I'm not sure if that will be sufficient for our purposes, how does one figure out what would be sufficient?
    5. What does one need to have in place before even thinking of getting SAPS accreditation?

Maybe I will think of more questions as we go along, but for now these are the main questions.

Thanks

Default Re: Shooting Club

I have sent you a PM Armand

Peter

User

Quote Originally Posted by armandvdwalt View Post
    Hi Guys,

So my questions:

1. What is the requirements from a legal point of view to start a shooting club?
    2. If you are operating on an established range, this should all be taken care of already.
    3. What type of club would you recommend, because we do not want to tie ourselves to a specific discipline like IDPA/IPSC at the moment, but would want to do a little bit of everything, and have a lot of freedom on stage design etc. In the future we might tie ourselves to a specific discipline but not yet. We all like IDPA, IPSC and we also want to do 3-Gun type of shoots.
    4. Provided you don't use the terms IPSC/IDPA/3gun, you can run whatever shoots you like without being affiliated, they would just be unsanctioned matches with no possibility of people accumulating points towards DSS.
    5. What is the requirements regarding RO's?
    6. If its members only, you can appoint an "RO" amongst yourselves. If it is a public range, they will need to be properly certified through.
    7. Once you are affiliated, you will need organization accredited RO's.
    8. How to become an RO? There will be an RO course presented early next year, but I'm not sure if that will be sufficient for our purposes, how does one figure out what would be sufficient?
    9. You will need to do a PFTC accredited course for a public range. For an organization specific RO they all differ, the relevant organizations websites explain it.
    10. What does one need to have in place before even thinking of getting SAPS accreditation?
    11. The range needs this, not a club operating at a range. Speak to them, if the do competency training there, they should already be SAPS registered.
    12. But why are you worried about this?

Thanks

User

So something that I have been thinking of building is barricades, but just don't have the time to get to it, any suggestions on where I can buy in the Pretoria area?