Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Viking Axe forge project -Father and son project

Brilliant Gert - love to see hand crafted tools. It's not a talent of mine, so I appreciate what other people can do even more. Looking forward to the finished product.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Graham12 View Post
    Brilliant Gert - love to see hand crafted tools. It's not a talent of mine, so I appreciate what other people can do even more. Looking forward to the finished product.
    Thank you Graham 12, it was not a talent of mine either......I just started with it somewhere along the line when I wanted to learn about forging on the 1800 era Black powder hunts...I figured out the basics myself and start making things/building projects..I did make a mistake or two but incorporate it into my projects...nothing difficult since a bolt/nut , a grinder and welding machine is easy to learn to use ...if you are looking for talents in yourself, you probably will not recognise a talent, since nobody will knows how a talent looks like... A person needs to do /build/create something he/she likes to do before you will ever recognise it as a talent...we all start as a "blank" exactly as an elephant starts to learn everything from scratch...so not talent until you work on it....then only you would recognise what you like to do or to make or to build for yourself....
    One tip I may give is : Do not ask any body to teach you how to do /make /build something...it never works...only by figuring it out yourself by researching, practice and common sense will you end up knowing how to do it....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    GAZZAMCK, I really want to forge a real short stabbing spear..the spear with the broad blade and short handle , the spear Shaka Zulu designed ...I will use a "Piece of green leaf spring steel ) this will enable me to forge it , harden it and temper it as I would like to do myself...
    I will design a SA Gunsite Forum forge for members at a decent price..you will have a choice of two or one burner..let me know when you want the forge to be build ...I am currently busy building another one burner forge for myself and another knife blade belt sander as well for myself..one with a small wheel attachment for the smaller radius works on a knife handle...Thank you kindly for making the time to follow this thread, it is much appreciated..
    Gert, I'd buy a forge and a knife blade Sander from you, and I'm sure a few other members will as well.
    Let us know when you have a price etc.
    No rush, I'd also like to try my hand at making knives

User

BBT, it is something I like to do , it is great to design and build something like a forge or a knife blade belt sander.. I really like to make things work ..it is on my to do list to build ekstra forges and belt grinder machines..will keep members informed...

User

Toxxyc, you will find forging a rewarding practice..keep following the thread, I will upload photos of another few forges I want to build to sell as well as a few Knife blade belt-sanders,,
    I've been contemplating it for a long time, actually. My wife even offered to buy me a "course" in forging from a local place who does just that, but I struggle to find the time. I'd LOVE to do this over my break in December, sometime if I find it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I've been contemplating it for a long time, actually. My wife even offered to buy me a "course" in forging from a local place who does just that, but I struggle to find the time. I'd LOVE to do this over my break in December, sometime if I find it.
    Right, what I will do is the following:
    I will complete a one burner forge for you ( there will be an extra hole for a second burner) , will upload photos of how it look so far. You pay the Post Net Mail costs, I send it to you to use for December during your holiday, I will send you some material as well...you only need to find a heavy piece of metal as an anvil...that you can find at any big scrap yard...do some forging, see if it is what you want to do in the future...you do not have a belt sander, but working on a forge blade to shape it really is not difficult at all..I have done numerous blades , forged blades without a belt sander, remember, the steel is soft after you forged it..so you can easily shape the blade, then harden it and temper it , fit a handle , and there you will have your first knife...
    contact me at godendaal@hotmail.com. so we can work out the detail to get the forge to you..

User

Good here are some photos and measurements of the forge I will be building in the future. There will be two options, one gas burner or the same forge with two gas burners that will be operated independently ...if you need more heat, you open the second burner..which I believe will never happen...I will never the less make two holes and plug the second hole when a person want to fit another burner later when he needs one...this is the fire bricks , I will encase this fire brick unit with two millimeter sheet metal and round it with 50x50 x 5 mm angle iron..it will have two sliding bricks at the front end to slide sideways for open and close..

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Gert, I'd buy a forge and a knife blade Sander from you, and I'm sure a few other members will as well.
    Let us know when you have a price etc.
    No rush, I'd also like to try my hand at making knives
    BBT, take a look at this design above, I will complete the build, test it and let members know what the costs entails if there are orders ...it might take a while but it will be done..

User

Right, what I will do is the following:
    I will complete a one burner forge for you ( there will be an extra hole for a second burner) , will upload photos of how it look so far. You pay the Post Net Mail costs, I send it to you to use for December during your holiday, I will send you some material as well...you only need to find a heavy piece of metal as an anvil...that you can find at any big scrap yard...do some forging, see if it is what you want to do in the future...you do not have a belt sander, but working on a forge blade to shape it really is not difficult at all..I have done numerous blades , forged blades without a belt sander, remember, the steel is soft after you forged it..so you can easily shape the blade, then harden it and temper it , fit a handle , and there you will have your first knife...
    contact me at godendaal@hotmail.com. so we can work out the detail to get the forge to you..
    Wow Sir now while this is a brilliant offer, I would like to ask a question or two first:

1. Can I get fire bricks from somewhere like Builders?
    2. Can I use it using a plumbers-style gas blow torch?

Because if it's as easy as that, I can just as well use my blow torch stuck into a small hole in the fire bricks and build my own. I am definitely grateful for the offer, but I can imagine shipping a bunch of bricks via PostNet might be more expensive than just making my own :D To boot, I have a relatively full schedule for December, and if I don't get around to it it'll be wasting time. I'll be sending you an email with some questions anyway - sincere thanks for the offer!

User

I will give you contact details of a person from whom you can order directly fire bricks from...regarding the burner:
    If you build a burner from scratch , it will be the best option, I really do not think a blue flame gas torch will work at all...I will explain to you exactly how to build a premium gas burner that will work extremely effective..and it is even very cheap...

Contact me at godendaal@hotmail.com or pm me as well..I will be uploading a burner build for everyone to see how simple and easy it really is..the trick is to use a high pressure gas regulator ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast