User

Question DMG with only a SLR and handgun

I have read the DMG rules and divisions and it seems that you need a handgun, shotgun and rifle. I haven't done my shotgun proficiency and competency yet and am therefore still some time away from acquiring a shotgun. I can buy a SLR. I have not attended any DMG events? Will it be possible and allowed to participate in the interim with only a rifle and handgun? How will the points be affected?

Default Re: DMG with only a SLR and handgun

Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    I have read the DMG rules and divisions and it seems that you need a handgun, shotgun and rifle. I haven't done my shotgun proficiency and competency yet and am therefore still some time away from acquiring a shotgun. I can buy a SLR. I have not attended any DMG events? Will it be possible and allowed to participate in the interim with only a rifle and handgun? How will the points be affected?
    I don't think so.

DMG stages are mixed, you shoot multiple guns in a stage. If you don't have the gear, you can't shoot the stage.

Instead of buying a rifle in your circumstances think about a pistol calibre carbine instead. That way you can shoot it in every pistol match under PCC.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Yep, a true DMG match you would need to have a shotgun to compete or try engaging shotgun targets with a pistol and take the associated penalties.

That said, there are a few smaller matches which run just handgun / msr or handgun / shotgun. RSC comes to mind with their matches which would allow you to compete.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    I don't think so.

DMG stages are mixed, you shoot multiple guns in a stage. If you don't have the gear, you can't shoot the stage.

Instead of buying a rifle in your circumstances think about a pistol calibre carbine instead. That way you can shoot it in every pistol match under PCC.
    I have been considering my options for a while - logic tells me to get a PCC But I am lusting after a Nordic Components NC-15 in .223 Wylde.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    You could always find a fellow shooter that only has a handgun and shotgun and get them to join idpa (if they are not members already) and start shooting 3gun with them sharing the shotgun and SLR...

User

A lot more people would be shooting long guns more regularly if we could dump DMG and replace it with defensive Rifle and Defensive shotgun. We already have defensive Pistol (Handgun) which seems to be popular...

As it stands DMG is not much more than mini 3 gun-nation (unfortunately). And as far as I know actual 3 gun-nation fell flat on its face at least in Gauteng.

There are however progressive / forward thinking clubs like RSC that encourage and allow participation even if you have only a SG or only an SLR / MSR. PDPC and a few others regularly have HG / SG or HG / SLR club shoots. So even if you don't have a SG (or cannot do SG for medical reasons like my wife), you can still shoot your SLR regularly.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Sorry, we are hijacking the thread.... (But no, for DMG a shotgun is needed).

DMG is highly exiting and is doing a lot with regard to concentration practice and awareness of your surroundings and targets etc. I have learned a lot of skills because of DMG. But, all that said, the chances of myself having all 3 guns available and using them is slim in real life as it is today. Although, we never know what the future holds. Having the options in IDPA to shoot HG + SLR/PCP or HG + SG would to my thinking be more practical.

User

I ended up getting a PCC for now as my opportunity to participate is more and there is a division for PCC in DMG should I get a shotgun later. My club has also started hosting some club shoots where you can shoot rifle and handgun.