Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Chinese S/S adjustable gas block, worth the cost of a movie and popcorn for one?

Hi All.

I do, from time to time, use Aliexpress for the slow import of things, primarily because they are cheap, and secondarily because the wait associated with free shipping builds character and teaches patience... :)

I recently purchased a Stag arms E.C.O SLR, and being the tacticool ninja that I am, I decided I didn't like the drop-in A2 hand-guard and associated hardware and went thrift shopping for alternatives while I wait for the license.

Basically, I found a set of diamondhead knockoff BUIS, a M-lok free float handguard, and an adjustable low profile gas block to put the gun through its initial face lift.

This short review will be about the gas block...

The unit in question is this one:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/750-...2-8200cd4b78c4

I spent R100 more that I could have for the (arguably unnecessary) adjustable feature, bringing me to a grand total of R280 for the part, shipped. It took the better part of 3 months to arrive.

This is what my money purchased:

In the box was the gas block, completely assembled with the two barrel mounting grub screws, the gas port adjustment screw, the adjustment lock screw, and a roll pin. Also in the package were the relevant hex keys, and a complete spare set of screws and roll pin.

Pictured above is the adjustment port adjustment grub screw, and the gas tube pin hole.

Above - the adjustment screw locking screw is inside this offset hole (a grub screw is tightened against the adjustment grub screw to lock it in position). I like how the lock threads are machined away from the weakened cross section (for the gas tube port), eliminating what is in my opinion a weakness in some adjustable gas block designs (that use a double lock screw in the same vertical plane as the gas tube port).

I took the part in to work to borrow some tools for an inspection and determined that the material is 304s/s with 18.7% chrome and 11.2% nickel content, which is within specification.

The block is for a .750 inch barrel (19.05mm), and the bore came out at an average of 19.11mm (mild ovality as lowest reading was 19.09, highest 19.12). Considering the attachment method (double grub screw) this is perfectly acceptable clearance.

The finish is excellent, likely vibratory tumbled, no evidence of tool marks. The threads are pristine, with no picking up or rough patches. The fasteners are all A4 grade and without blemish.

I was pleasantly surprised by the part, and would not hesitate to purchase another should I require it in the future (or, in fact, anything from this particular seller on Ali, his QC, based on this sample size of 1, is excellent). The proof of the pudding, as they say, is in the eating... Once it is on, tuned and tested I will post a follow up (should there be any interest at all), but from a design and manufacture point of view, this is a well thought out part with no major faults (according to my somewhat relevant experience). I look forward to testing it if CFR ever afford me the opportunity :)

To follow : "An unbranded Chinese free float rail, worth the price of a nice night out with the Mrs?" - a second bumbling installment by the linguistically challenged Luke Peter...

User

Default Re: Chinese S/S adjustable gas block, worth the cost of a movie and popcorn for one?

Following with interest.

Let us know if you are going to order again.

User

Default Re: Chinese S/S adjustable gas block, worth the cost of a movie and popcorn for one?

Quote Originally Posted by luke peter View Post
    Hi All.

I do, from time to time, use Aliexpress for the slow import of things, primarily because they are cheap, and secondarily because the wait associated with free shipping builds character and teaches patience... :)

I look forward to testing it if CFR ever afford me the opportunity :)
    I'm not sure which requires more patience, wish/aliexpress or dealing with CFR ha ha ha ha

User

You can get parts from them a lot quicker if you don't go the SAPO route as well. 7-10 days with "priority" shipping options, for which you pay a few bucks extra. Personally I'll never order from Ali/Wish without AT LEAST trackable shipping again - of all my orders about 1/3rd went missing with no recourse whatsoever.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    You can get parts from them a lot quicker if you don't go the SAPO route as well. 7-10 days with "priority" shipping options, for which you pay a few bucks extra. Personally I'll never order from Ali/Wish without AT LEAST trackable shipping again - of all my orders about 1/3rd went missing with no recourse whatsoever.
    I have had one parcel not arrive from Ali, out of thirty or so orders. I also always opt for tracked shipping. The delay at jhb incoming international is disgusting (sapo),but for many of the things I buy, expedited shipping is more than the cost of the goods

I frequently use Ali. Never lost item. Even refunded couple times and still received.
    However Sapo is the problem in the ordering variable.

But then again I receive parcels sometimes I forgot I ordered from Ali.
    And then it feels like christmas.

User

I ordered a muzzle brake for my .308 on the off chance that it fitted (it was that cheap). It didn't, the thread pitch was wrong, but without doing actual testing of the metal as the OP did, just a visual inspection showed the part was well made. No tool marks, nice finish, clean threads........it's a copy of the M72 brake that did so well in testing. The amount of stuff they copy is amazing. The amount of stuff that SAPO loses is also amazing, and Ill second (third?) the opinion that it's the fly in the ointment.

User

Small update.

I got to bring my AR home today, and in true me fashion proceeded to strip it of its gas block etc. And put my tacticool stuff on it.

Before and during and after pics below...

Chinese gas block fitted really well, pins went in as they should, alignment was spot on and no mods were required.

I also fitted the chinese mlok handguard that I bought (the fit was also great, barrel nut went on perfectly, mlok slots a little sharp)

It remains for me to tune the block for my reloads and check function, but I have a measure of confidence in the parts as manufactured, as mentioned above, the machining is first class, and the material is as it should be.

Updates after testing.

Luke

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by luke peter View Post
    Small update.

I got to bring my AR home today, and in true me fashion proceeded to strip it of its gas block etc. And put my tacticool stuff on it.

Before and during and after pics below...

Chinese gas block fitted really well, pins went in as they should, alignment was spot on and no mods were required.

I also fitted the chinese mlok handguard that I bought (the fit was also great, barrel nut went on perfectly, mlok slots a little sharp)

It remains for me to tune the block for my reloads and check function, but I have a measure of confidence in the parts as manufactured, as mentioned above, the machining is first class, and the material is as it should be.

Updates after testing.

Luke
    It looks blerry nice

User

Now, HOW does it shoot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast