Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: UV torch recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    And usually some other campers get wind of what you’re doing and want to see as well.
    That's exactly what happened, we were the "other campers" that got "bitten by the bug".

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

I bought these ones for our Kgalagadi trip in September and they worked like a bomb: https://www.africansnakebiteinstitut...corpion-torch/

Lots of scorpions!

User

I run a game reserve in the Karoo and I try take every set of guests we have on a scorpion walk (winter excl). I bought the R400 scorpion torch from Sniper (Trappers stock them). Have been very impressed with the torch. Can pick up scorpions from 30 meters.

Otherwise look at African Snake Institute. They stock snake capture gear as well as scorpion lights etc. The company is run by Johan Marais so would imagine they stock some pretty solid gear.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Staying on a farm we have visits from relatives from the city. The city type that are scared of farms and the dark etc. (I know, millions of city dwellers know more about nature than I do, just to sketch the scenario.) So they arrived with a "scorpion hunting torch." And out they went with the torch, a can of Doom and a fly swat!!!!! I almost lost it. We have been staying with the scorpions around for plenty of years, they never bother us, without these torches we did not even see how many they are, they certainly form a critical part in the food chain and here people want to kill them, just because suddenly they can see them. WTF?

So I immediately confiscated the Doom and fly swat and explained and we had a nice evening out looking at scorpions and the stars.

Please, refrain from killing scorpions when "hunting" them.
    Definitely didn't mean hunt as in to kill them. We were also of those "other campers" that got bitten by the bug to look for them. Very interesting when you find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Keepleft View Post
    Hi guys

All my wife wants for Christmas is a "scorpion torch" so that she can "hunt for scorpions" when we go camping.

Any recommendations on a decent uv torch, or a torch with a uv mode?

Thanks!

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk
    We have two options avaliable

SUPA-LED 3W Scorpion UV Torch

SUPA-LED 9LED Scorpion UV Torch

National Dyslexic Association: D.N.A.

User

It's fascinating that a uv light illuminates the scorpions.
    But at the same time, im getting the heebie jeebies thinking about scorpions!

Although i think this would be cool to have if you are camping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2