User

Default (Re)profiling a rifle barrel

Hi guys

Just wondering if anybody out there has any experience with changing the profile on a rifle barrel?

I'm looking at the Howa mini-action in 6.5 Grendel as a possible rifle for my young son but AHS tells me they only imported them in heavy barrel configuration. I've had a look and touch & feel and it will be too heavy for my son (who is a particularly small child) to handle.

There have been a few specials of late on these rifles and I'm considering buying one and having the heavy barrel turned down to a sporter profile. Has any of you learned gentleman had something similar done & what was your experience? Did accuracy suffer? Did the barrel have to be re-trued afterwards because of release of residual stresses in the barrel? Would you do it again?

Any input would be appreciated.

User

Default Re: (Re)profiling a rifle barrel

Any input - is a Savage Axis Youth not an option for him, perhaps? Reason for asking is the stocks are shortened specifically for kids, they're cheap and was available last time I checked. I have no idea what calibers they come in, though.

User

Your fears about residual stresses in the barrel are not unfounded. I have never seen a Howa barrel getting turned dowm, so I can't comment on what you can expect. Your best bet would be to find an experienced gunsmith or even a barrelmaker to do the job for you.

Banned

Try Andre Mojet at Accugun or the guys at Gunwarrior (they make the Warrior brand of silencers and aluminium rifle stocks)
    I do know from their websites that they can and do do fluting of barrels in a few different styles.
    So give them a call and ask

Warren from Gunwarrior. He spiral fluted his 6mm creed and few other rilfes. All of them still shooting incredibly well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The heat treatment programs in barrel blanks is very comprehensive, to the point that the barrels are stood on end when heat treating to avoid cold spots from laying down.

Barrels are not that hard so the inherent stresses should not be pretty much non existent.

Re-profiling should be done with coolant and on a CNC machine to ensure very even cuts and local heating. I would take the chance in the full knowledge that I may be in for a new barrel.

When I did the 6.5mm for my grandkids (too big for the smallest boy it turned out) the biggest problem was the barrel weight that they could not support due the moment of force being so far out. Fitting a silencer then makes matters worse. Perhaps you want to look reducing barrel length as well. I taught the kids to shoot over something to remove the barrel weight, sticks, a log etc. Have you considered perhaps fitting a bipod to overcome the problem, it is doubtful in any event that he will be shooting out of hand to start with? Then he can grow into the rifle.

The other problem is the LOP. They simply cannot get their eye to the scope when the butt is in the shoulder. I bought a smaller stock.

Do the maths, may be cheaper to buy the right thing from the start.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Thanks guys for input so far.

Some good points made & I will consider them.