Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Feral pork for table fare?

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Over here we get taught to freeze wild boar meat for 3 weeks because of the risk of trichinosis. When frozen for 3 weeks it is safe to eat.

Regards
    I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you're probably wrong. Freezing is no guarantee of safety. Plenty of parasites survive freezing that can cause trichinosis. Thorough cooking is the only method.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Over here we get taught to freeze wild boar meat for 3 weeks because of the risk of trichinosis. When frozen for 3 weeks it is safe to eat.

Regards
    We have to do an extra module for our hunting licence that entails inspecting game for diseases and parasite. For pigs we need to send a tissue sample to the vet confirm that there is no trichinosis.

African Swine Fever is also rearing its ugly head this side.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    We have to do an extra module for our hunting licence that entails inspecting game for diseases and parasite. For pigs we need to send a tissue sample to the vet confirm that there is no trichinosis.

African Swine Fever is also rearing its ugly head this side.
    Can you give a few pointers, please?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Can you give a few pointers, please?
    Only in theory. I'll get my first taste of pig hunting next weekend.

Inspect the liver and other organs for anything out of the ordinary. If in doubt, don't eat the meat.

Freezing and low temp smoking WILL not kill parasites You are looking at a internal temp of round about 60°C.

With wild omnivores, it better not to take chances.

Over here in Aus very few hunters seem to eat the feral pigs they shoot. In the Far North of Queensland where I live, even fewer people eat the pigs they hunt. It is difficult to accept coming from our SA culture of eating what you hunt & I still find it strange after almost 11 years.

The diseases that the feral pigs carry over here are widely publicised and are often mentioned in the media - leptospirosis, porcine brucellosis, tuberculosis & sparganosis are the big concerns.

I think that the media coverage, historical & cultural factors and the fact that like most of us, many have very little time to educate themselves further on the subject and so rather don't take a chance all contribute to this attitude.

The Kiwis over here who hunt are far more likely to eat the feal pigs they shoot than the locals.

I

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Freezing and low temp smoking WILL not kill parasites You are looking at a internal temp of round about 60°C.
    A friend runs a business making sausages, hams etc and he cooks all his pork to internal temperature in steam bath of 63C which is apparently the minimum safe temp for pork. Sausages are then cooled and smoked (Think that's order of processing). Not sure after resting what temp meat will be internally but guessing another 5C rise so possibly 68C maybe 70C?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3