Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Feral pork for table fare?

unhealthiness. Have not come across this .
    People who dislike venison have normally had a bad experience of trying to eat an old male animal,have had no clue as to how to cook it,have very little experience with venison or are just totally against the idea of eating venison.

I’ve can taste if a normal pink pig on the spit was male or not. That hormone taste puts me off the meat immediately.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I’ve can taste if a normal pink pig on the spit was male or not. That hormone taste puts me off the meat immediately.
    I don't like warthog however I do make quite a bit of wors with it as I shoot them by the bakkie load. It always goes down well at braais and eases the pocket. I always use sows more so young sows for my wors. That boar taint is so evident to me it has the same gag reflex on me as Stroh rum.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    I don't like warthog however I do make quite a bit of wors with it as I shoot them by the bakkie load. It always goes down well at braais and eases the pocket. I always use sows more so young sows for my wors. That boar taint is so evident to me it has the same gag reflex on me as Stroh rum.
    Which spicing do you use? I have come to realise that in many cases, people eat venison or warthog sausage simply because it is supposed to be something special - without considering the real taste at hand. The commercial spices often have a dominating taste and I am pretty sure that folks wont be able to tell donkey from baboon or a deliciously ripened young kudu cow.

My reason for wanting a feral hog is to try it out. It might just be really good. Having a good piece of meat for a friend is also a big attraction. I would not know least I try.

User

Smoked Warthog cheese wors on the braai is great, but SBB has it 100%.
    Sows or young boars for table fare
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Which spicing do you use? I have come to realise that in many cases, people eat venison or warthog sausage simply because it is supposed to be something special - without considering the real taste at hand. The commercial spices often have a dominating taste and I am pretty sure that folks wont be able to tell donkey from baboon or a deliciously ripened young kudu cow.My reason for wanting a feral hog is to try it out. It might just be really good. Having a good piece of meat for a friend is also a big attraction. I would not know least I try.
    Mix it up but mostly cabanossi mix. But also pork and lemon mix as well as oumas mix. If mixing with antelope I use other wors mixes such as oumas or Kalahari mix but using a 50% warthog 50% blesbok meat mix it furthers the wors and tastes really good.

Banned

Thanks, I did a warthog-blesbuck-kudu mixture with sheep fat. It was really good.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Thanks, I did a warthog-blesbuck-kudu mixture with sheep fat. It was really good.
    Correct. I'm not a fan of fillers such as grains and bread in wors. I prefer 100% meat so warthog makes up my filler :)

User

Next time you get a warthog, keep the loins and have them smoked and pickled then cut into chops. They come out like kassler chops. Awesome on the braai, by the time i got there my chops were gone. My mates went ape over them.

User

Over here we get taught to freeze wild boar meat for 3 weeks because of the risk of trichinosis. When frozen for 3 weeks it is safe to eat.

Regards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast