User

Default Many untold stories about the Indian Army in WW1

“Of all the Indian troops who fought between 1914 and 1918 - there were four times as many as those from Australian, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and the Caribbean combined “
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-46148207

Default Re: Many untold stories about the Indian Army in WW1

Interesting post, was awere they fought, but not in those numbers.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Commendable and comparatively tragic unsung contribution.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them.

User

Apologies for the slight hijack... I'm on the Exco of the South African Indian Legion and currently researching, documenting and preserving the history of Indians in the South African military, dating from the Boer War to present day, including those that served with Umkhonto we Sizwe.

Although the Indian Legion is only a few months old, I've received very positive feedback and some really interesting artifacts, documents and stories especially from different theatres during WW2. Anyway I think this topic deserves it's own thread and will start one later.

User

By the end of World War 2 Britain owed it's colony of India a billion pounds in gold and other loans.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    Apologies for the slight hijack... I'm on the Exco of the South African Indian Legion and currently researching, documenting and preserving the history of Indians in the South African military, dating from the Boer War to present day, including those that served with Umkhonto we Sizwe.

Although the Indian Legion is only a few months old, I've received very positive feedback and some really interesting artifacts, documents and stories especially from different theatres during WW2. Anyway I think this topic deserves it's own thread and will start one later.
    Extremely interesting. Most university papers these days do as though Indian history starts only in 1860. Going back to 1600 is often forgotten or ignored. The soldiers of Indian decent at Somerset in 1824 are also ignored. And the war memorials face destruction .
    live out your imagination , not your history.