Default Expunged Record - What is the best way to apply for Comp and FA?

I know this has probably been asked many times, I was looking through the forum but find so many conflicting posts. Can someone who is knowledgeable in the law / application of comp and FA please give me the right answer?

I was convicted because I punched an out-of-control psycho dude in the bar who cried and bribed his way through the whole case.

Anyway, I got the record expunged this year. It has been about 14 years since it happened. I have done my competency training back in 2010 but left it at that when I saw the "Have you ever been convicted" question on the form. I did the rest of my competencies this year as well and I really want a FA for sport and for SD.

Now, I want to apply for comp and then FA, but I don't know what to put on the form. Conviction or not? The persons from the firm who did the expungement says I do not have to?
    But I have my doubts about that. If they can see it if you commit a crime as a prior, the CFR will be able to see it no doubt.

So, do I disclose this or not?
    My wife is doing hers as well and I don't want to be left behind....

I really need some help here guys. :(

User

Default Re: Expunged Record - What is the best way to apply for Comp and FA?

Answer the question truthfully, then use the space provided to clarify.

I know of people who had old records for assault and were granted comp, but have also heard of those denied because they did not mention the expunged record

User

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Answer the question truthfully, then use the space provided to clarify.
    This just makes the most sense! Rather play open cards.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

When I went in to submit my license app, there was another guy also applying. He wanted to disclose his record that was also very old, like 25 years or something, to the dfo but she tried to check and couldnt find anything. So she told him theres nothing on the system and shouldnt make things difficult. Anyway he still ended up supplying details of the offence/crime whatever it was. I dont know what happened with his app though.

Just my 2c of what I experienced, take it for what it is.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Expungement of a criminal record - Saps

https://www.saps.gov.za/faqdetail.php?fid=57
    Expungement is a procedure which results in the lawful clearance and removal of a criminal record on an individual's record from the National Criminal Register.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

If its expunged then you do not have a criminal record. But I would state that I had a record and that it has been expunged, its like saying "I was guilty, but all is forgiven"
    I seriously doubt that the CFR will reject your application due to you not having a criminal record anymore but being truthful enough to admit that you once did.

I was charged with assault once and the case was withdrawn so I was NEVER CONVICTED OF A CRIME, I filled in my comp app and said no to that question, they rejected me because they said I failed to disclose information and I have a negative background check ect...
    I sent in another app saying that I did not mean to withhold Information and that "I must have understood the question wrong" because I was never convicted, Then they were happy to let me have my skiet ysters.

Good luck with the apps.

User

How does one carry out a criminal record check?

Thanks gents. Will disclose but mention that it has been expunged. Wish me luck.