Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Can someone with a ballistic calculator run a HV and subsonic .22lr at 1000m? What would the energy and velocity be? I'm curious.
    A subsonic round would have a retained energy of around 70 Joules and travel at about 750ft/s.

User

Default Re: Subsonic lethal range , if target is missed

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    A subsonic round would have a retained energy of around 70 Joules and travel at about 750ft/s.
    Damn, that thing must have a great BC :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    Can someone with a ballistic calculator run a HV and subsonic .22lr at 1000m? What would the energy and velocity be? I'm curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Damn, that thing must have a great BC :)
    Ok, so nobody got the joke.

Anyways the last subsonic round I chronied was a remington at 980ft/s.
    Given a known BC for a similar .22 bullet, as .138, then :

At 1000m the bullet will have a retained velocity of 354ft/s and an energy of 15 Joules.

User

At 1000m the bullet will have a retained velocity of 354ft/s and an energy of 15 Joules.
    In other words it will barely piece the skin?

PS I got your joke, but don't know enough to have commented on it.

User

Ok, so nobody got the joke.Anyways the last subsonic round I chronied was a remington at 980ft/s.Given a known BC for a similar .22 bullet, as .138, then :At 1000m the bullet will have a retained velocity of 354ft/s and an energy of 15 Joules.
    Hahaha my bad... I forgot to change the BC value in the calculation.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    One would be quick to dismiss it as non lethal, but theoretical calculations or physics on paper means little in real world terms.

The terminal velocity we normally think of have little to do with this scenario, remember the old folk that said a bullet comes down with the same speed as it goes up, we know that is nonsense. First of all 350ft/s is not fast, not fast at all, free falling skydivers have reached higher speeds than this. For the folk that did .22 shooting as sport at school knows if your backstop becomes full then bullets are sometimes ricocheted upwards, and you hear it come down, makes a whistling sound(like them old bombs). Myself, and many of my teammates have been hit by these projectiles, and absolutely nothing happened.

The trick with a shot bullet is that it’s stabilized, and it becomes more stable as it slows down. Now pressure is force over area, and force is mass x acceleration. And by being stabilized the surface(contact) area is constant for longer. So the shot bullet has a lot better chance of using its momentum for penetration instead of parting with its energy due to friction.

I would not stand in front of such bullet, and I would definitely consider it lethal, proving this mythbuster style won’t fly :)

User

PS I got your joke, but don't know enough to have commented on it.
    Don't kid yourself just on the energy. A 40gr bullet at 350fps has almost double the "factor" (mass x speed, i.e. momentum) than a powerful airgun as at the muzzle (8gr at 1000 fps).

User

IIRC Hatchers notebook mentions something like 170fps needed for a projectile to pierce the skin.

User

Bit late to the party but thanks for the clarification and info. I was going to say WTF...I have CCI subsonics that are 700 odd fps at muzzle.

User

One Sunday afternoon, while a chicken was being roasted on the good old charcoal weber kettle braai, a noticable metal on metal clank disrupted the sip of beer I was about to take. Braai lid had a bit of a ding in it.
    Wondering what happened, on inspection we found a 6.35mm bullet lying in the grass. Not many people fire shots in the air for fun on a Sunday afternoon in suburbia. However there is a cemetery about 1.5 km away as the crow flies. Burials at this location are often accompanied by a few shots in the air. So although not a .22 projectile and assuming it did come from that location, I reckon a person would have had a more severe problem than a headache and that bullet had managed a reasonable distance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2