Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Moving to Tanzania, what to do with Pistol?

Hi There guys

Ill be moving to Tanzania next year, and I really don't want to sell my pistol.

I have family that will obviously still reside in SA...

Can you get a shared license? where I would leave my pistol with my brother and he can use it as he wants ?

Does anybody know the process of exporting a privately owned firearm to Tanzania? or any other country?

I am aware that I can just sell it and that would be the easiest, or get my brother to apply for a license for the pistol and give it to him.... but i would prefer to take my pistol with me.

Banned

Default Re: Moving to Tanzania, what to do with Pistol?

What is the legal situation in Tanzania regarding firearms? May foreigners own/have/carry firearms?

And what will your job be - if it is military / law enforcement etc, would they not issue you with something?

General rule is that it is more expensive to export/transport a firearm to a foreign country (except for hunting purposes) than to get a firearm in the intendend country.

Dont know if I can carry a firearm as a foreigner. No my job will not issue me with a firearm. I have been reading about the gun laws in Tan, have not seen anything in regards to my situation thus far

User

Store it at a dealer until you return?

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Store it at a dealer until you return?
    Not planning on returning any time soon.

User

Sell it. It's not worth trying to take it with, and a shared licence won't work in this regard.

User

Give it to your brother and have him license it in his name. He can then do with it as he pleases. On your return he just gives you the paperwork and you license it back on your name. If he sold it he just gives you the money.
    if you are going to be away for an undetermined time it's better that someone else can keep everything current.

User

Duel license is not applicable because both holders will not reside on the same premises.

Your brother can legally keep and store (not use) your gun in his safe with a storage permit. Needs to be renewed every year.

Thanks Guys,

I think ill be giving it to my brother. It does make more sense and is less hasstle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rynosteyn View Post
    Thanks Guys,

I think ill be giving it to my brother. It does make more sense and is less hasstle.
    I lived in Tz until 2000. I had a mod 36 38 spl, a 12 Ga and a 375 licensed since 1993.

At that time it involved filling out a form and having it endorsed from your Village, District and Province, also a letter from your embassy indicating that they no objection to you obtaining a firearm. It took me about three months and I also obtained an import permit for same.
    There is a gun dealer in Arusha who sells firearme snd he would most probably be able to assit with obtaining and getting thru all of the paperwork

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast