Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Role of DFO?

User

Default Re: Role of DFO?

Quote Originally Posted by mo-manack View Post
    I think the behavior of the dfo is very subjective. In most cases they are left to they’re own devices. Personally I’ve never had a bad experience with my DFO . However, my friend has had endless drama with his DFO and his list of requirements were different to mine. So it looks like it all depends on the individual DFO , they all do the same job differently.
    correct, biggest problem that seems to be reported is no common standard,

which would be understandable considering the work they do and the little leadership saps has

my DFO is genuinely very efficient, although at times things like carrying sect 16 etc etc can be a heated debated

User

The time delay also depends on where you are - from your local SAPS, it goes to Provincial (it might take them a few weeks before they physically take your application), and, from Provincial it goes to Pretoria (which, again, might take them a few weeks before they physically take your application)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    The DFO is a postbox. He or she has no decision/recommendation powers whatever!
    ^ This is true though

Quote Originally Posted by inanabhay View Post
    The time delay also depends on where you are - from your local SAPS, it goes to Provincial (it might take them a few weeks before they physically take your application), and, from Provincial it goes to Pretoria (which, again, might take them a few weeks before they physically take your application)
    In an era of where the speed of technology is at the click of a button, i honestly don't know why this process is not electronic by now. I just dont get what is so satisfying by filling in forms, taking finger prints and waiting for all the applications to pile up so that they can drive to Jhb.

This process should take an applicant 5 mins MAX if it was electronic... but the authoritative powers prefer to keep an inefficient process alive.

User

Thanks for the response gents - I suppose hands are tied and it's a lesson of patience.

I'll start asking more questions if CFR doesn't have a different status on the matter next week.

Wouldn't it be great if these could go straight to provincial? That would have saved me 4 weeks of waiting so far...

User

Quote Originally Posted by ror123 View Post
    ^ This is true though

In an era of where the speed of technology is at the click of a button, i honestly don't know why this process is not electronic by now. I just dont get what is so satisfying by filling in forms, taking finger prints and waiting for all the applications to pile up so that they can drive to Jhb.

This process should take an applicant 5 mins MAX if it was electronic... but the authoritative powers prefer to keep an inefficient process alive.
    100%

User

^ This is true though

Because by its very nature the FCA is not meant to be efficient or expedite firearms ownership? Of course they will make it as tedious as possible.

i was shocked at home affairs being electronic for my wife's new passport and ID, not ONE piece of paper signed or anything

User

^ This is true though
    In therory yes maybe, but go treat him like a postbox and You will increase you fitness significantly with circle that he will make you run.He is the link , and probably the most important link. The “postbox” I would say is province. I think we somewhat discount the role of the DFO. Make friends with him, and I’m sure he will assist where he can. Lots of them are also over worked.

Quote Originally Posted by mo-manack View Post
    Make friends with him, and I’m sure he will assist where he can. Lots of them are also over worked.
    Understood, however, its not about making friends to get a desired response and its not like clients are getting the "service" of lodging applications for free either...

They are over worked due to process inefficiencies that cannot accommodate the inflow of applications.

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post

i was shocked at home affairs being electronic for my wife's new passport and ID, not ONE piece of paper signed or anything
    On this. Banks take your finger print when cashing a Cheq. Capitec you can in branch do anything with your finger print. Ive seen some recruitment companies also taking finger print to verify your record when they job hunt for you.

Yet the SAPS uses paper fingerprint. They are actually suppose to be the people on the forefront of fingerprint scanning.

User

Unfortunately, we are stuck with the system and have to be patient, it's not unusual to wait even a year or longer (especially, if there's some screw-up somewhere)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast