Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Best prices on Leatherman multitools

I have often found good deals on older models at small hardware stores, you have to look around and sometimes wait for a good deal.

User

Thanks guys. Browsing gumtree last night and saw a few at good prices. Have read about leathermans warranty being so good. So that might be the route I go

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by MANNY82 View Post
    Thanks guys. Browsing gumtree last night and saw a few at good prices. Have read about leathermans warranty being so good. So that might be the route I go

I bought a leatherman skeletool from a second hand shop for R250. Through hard use, part of the frame broke. Sent it off and they sent back a new one. Fast forward a couple of years and after some harder use I manged to snap the blade. Sent it off and they replaced it yet again. I would be lost without mine.

User

I have an older version of a Gerber MP-600 multitool.....it's the one without the locking plastic pieces. I used to carry on my tool belt.....my EDC belt .....and would only use it about once a month if even, and only ever for the needlenose pliers. So I ditched it but I keep it close, in my rolling tool bag along with my special and job specific stuff tools. The Good Lord help you if you are cutting something really hard with the MP-600 cutters and it slips off the item you are cutting or it cuts through too easily and the handles snap shut.......you will get the worst palm pinch. You have to make sure you hold them in such a way so this cannot happen. We cut grip chain a lot which we use for all sorts including securing set walls or securing or 'safetying' steel deck or scaffold to a strong wood support etc etc..... it is called #40 sash chain as well.

Just me though.....but on my belt I have everything I need.....other than needle nose, which again...we hardly ever use and if there is a need we carry a couple pairs in our truck and office toolboxes. So I don't see the need for multitool sets. But for someone for whom carrying around a bunch of tools is not practical....they can really bale you out sometimes.

Multitools are excellent as a survival tool as well.

The Leatherman brand has always been quite expensive, even over here. The Knifeless Rebar makes a lot of sense to me if you already have an EDC knife on you. They have a Collectors PST for $280 right now.

Mostly the Leatherman models I see in the supply stores for my industry are in the $160 range. Way too expensive for me.

Anyway....Gerber has some offerings you can look at. I've had mine for about 20yrs and it used to curt lots of grip chain until it bit me one too many times and I just got a nice pair of Klein dykes. But it has seen use as a knife, pliers, screwdriver etc......and it is still in phenomenal shape.

DeWalt is in on it as well. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-M...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Banned

Unfortunately Gerber just doesn't have the aftersales service like Leatherman.
    I'd rather pay a few hundred rands more and get the Leatherman, and know that even if I break it through hard use, it will be repaired or replaced

User

When I buy i have settled on leatherman. Thinking of getting the rebar since I always carry a knife separately anyway, so one handed opening is not a deal breaker. Did have a look online at Gerber multitools, but support as mentioned earlier has them beat. Chucking Victorinox in there as well. My brother recently picked up a Spirit X? second hand and I played a bit with it today. Also not a bad looking multitool

User

Thanks for all the advice

User

Are you stuck on Leatherman.

SOG has some awesome multi tools that feature compound leverage which others don't.

Excellent pricing for some models at Hailstorm.

http://bestmultitoolkit.com/guides/b...g-multi-tools/

Do you have a link to the Hailstorm supplier?

User

Quote Originally Posted by dorsland View Post
    Do you have a link to the Hailstorm supplier?
    www.hailstormza.com

or email Store@hailstormza.com

or call 012 348 2203

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast