Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default How Practical is a Tactical Shotgun

Hi Guys

How practical is a tactical shotgun for home defense - like one of these box fed 5-15 round semi auto shotties?
    If they are somewhat practical - is it best to go for semi-auto or pump action?
    To be blunt, we are moving to a farm next year and I want to know what arsenal would be best suited for defense in case of a farm attack.

Secondly - how do I license a semi-auto shotgun (already applied for a G19 on S13). I was also looking at a Beretta A300 for wing shooting, but decided against it after hearing about many semi-auto refusals.
    I do hold Dedicated Hunting and Sport Shooting status, but I don't participate in any of the sport-shooting series that I could use for motivation, yet.

User

Default Re: How Practical is a Tactical Shotgun

Any reason you are not considering a semi auto rifle ? That is my first thought when considering a farm type attack.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Botha View Post
    To be blunt, we are moving to a farm next year and I want to know what arsenal would be best suited for defense in case of a farm attack.
    Realistically? A pistol. That you carry all day, every day.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Hi gizmo16 - that's kind of part of my question. If your safe is open - what would you want to reach for in a situation like that.

User

SSP I bought a G19 for edc. My wife is keen to own a pistol but not on EDC, don't know how to persuade her. But that's for a different topic on another day.

User

Having seen many a Box gun shoot in IPSC shotgun matches this year, there is no way, ever, that I would risk my life on it. Jammania! There are ones that run well, but even my mates that shoot Saiga’s that “never jam”, had jams.

When shotgun is the preferred choice for SD, I’d only take a pump action.

User

I should have done it before I posted (regarding semi-auto), but I didn't have to do a lot of reading around this forum to come to the conclusion that a cheap semi-auto is a no-no for Self Defense / Home Defense.
    But I would still like to know about the pump-actions, have a shotgun just seems a bit easier to hit your target in a high-stress situation - or am I mistaken?

User

Give this video a watch:

It's just one person's opinion, but I'd tend to agree... For home defence SLR>shotgun>pistol. An SLR is going to be the most expensive and most difficult to license. A pistol has the advantage of being on you all the time.

You can have your G19 under section 13 and then get a pump shotty under section 15 without too much hassle and no need for dedicated sports status.

User

Box fed guns are great, if you can get them to work. And then when they give issues, get them to work again.

For now, get a decent pump action shotgun and go for training with it. So many guys have SLRs/SG's for HD and when you see them on the range they sit there figuring out how their gun works.

I personally would have an SLR on the farm but would not feel undergunned with a Rem 870 or 1300.

But, as SSP said, a pistol that is on you 24/7. As well as another one if that one goes down or gets taken for ballistics.

Actually, scratch the above. Get a second handgun before anything else. A matching 19 or 17. You dont want to be left unarmed after your farm has been attacked and you have used your SD weapon which the cops have now taken.

With your wife, get the proficiency and competency done so that when she decides she wants a gun, she does not have to wait that long

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

AJ. I think I may comment as I am living on a farm. The Youtube post above gives good insight also. My opinion: Seriously consider this quotation - "If you cannot put your hand on your self defence firearm where you are right now, all of your training was in vain."

I use a G19 for everyday and always carry. Like in always. To the bathroom, kitchen, everywhere. Even when getting up at night for a quick ablution procedure, do it with your SD pistol in reach. That is your primary firearm and should always be within arms length.

Then in the correct safekeeping facilities I do have various rifles and shotguns that can be used. My pistol is to keep one alive until more aggressive ordinance can be reached. My order of priority is to always have my G19. Next would be my AR. My pump action shotgun is not to my liking for home defense. Too few rounds and is difficult to operate with one hand. An AR can be shot real accurate at home defense distances with one hand to have a hand free for other uses. If only shotgun is available, use it. For me a SLR is just better suited.

If you don't want the hassle of SLR licensing, consider a lever action rifle in .357 Mag or .44 Mag. For years I used a Marlin in .44 Mag as home defence rifle and never felt undergunned. It is still in a quick to reach space and should it happen that my AR has a problem it will be used before I opt for the shotgun. Personally, I just don't like shotguns if a good rifle is available.

I am waiting for the license for another G19 to be left in my Roni more permanently. Going out at night to stop and start pumps and check on tractors still working etc is difficult with a large rifle. With the Roni out of a vehicle or in a vehicle it is just a lot quicker into action than the AR. It will then be as follows: Bullet Proof vest on when going out at night, Glock 19 in holster, Roni on lap, AR in vehicle.

Also consider your wifes options and likes and dislikes. Mine enjoy shooting the AR but hate shooting the shotgun. On a farm it is really important to have the rest of the family sorted as well with regards to your self defense plan. So if the need arise for us to get into our house code 4 (meaning an attack seems imminent), I have my G19 and the choice between shotgun, AR, Lever Gun. My wife has her G43 and then normally takes the AR and get the herself and the kids in their safe room. I doubt an intruder will get to them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast