Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: How Practical is a Tactical Shotgun

My Dashprod Semi-Auto has never failed me, but I've seen many user induced failures with pump guns (short stroking).

So which is more reliable in a high stress situation? A decent Semi-Auto that you've tested with your "carry ammo" shouldn't have any reliability issues.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Botha View Post
    I should have done it before I posted (regarding semi-auto), but I didn't have to do a lot of reading around this forum to come to the conclusion that a cheap semi-auto is a no-no for Self Defense / Home Defense.
    But I would still like to know about the pump-actions, have a shotgun just seems a bit easier to hit your target in a high-stress situation - or am I mistaken?
    You are mistaken
    It is way to easy to miss with a shotgun. And when you do you have less rounds and slower reloads.
    Train train and train with whatever you decide and do get good training on the platform.
    Also carrying a large gun around everyday wont happen so you would probably end up with just your handgun at your disposal when needed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Realistically? A pistol. That you carry all day, every day.
    This

I love a shotgun and If i had to get into a house range fight the gun I would want is a shotgun.

But I also know that I am not going to take it out the safe and put it back every day, because I have a life and do things.

The pistol is also honestly better at checking bumps in the night, where the long gun is better for setting up a defensive position.

The pistol yu carry , with a WML slipped on at night if you don't edc one, is a realistic solution to this situation, that is workable every day.

Box fed shotguns are not reliable enough for serious business.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post

The pistol is also honestly better at checking bumps in the night, where the long gun is better for setting up a defensive position.
    Yip, had an "incident" on my BIL farm last year when my brother in law and his wife were out for the evening. Long story short the night ended with my 15 year nephew with the pump action aimed at the locked bedroom door while protecting my wife and kids and his little brother. Of all the guns in the safe I reckon he picked the best one to defend a room with.

Luckily they didn't break the door down, but he was still pretty traumatized by the incident and the potential consequences of how the night could have played out.

User

EDC a pistol always! You will be surprised most farmers don't EDC and don't take security seriously. Its gives you a chance to get to the long guns/ help etc.

Most farmers I know that EDC'd came out on top, my family included. You need a dog's chance and that is what a pistol gets you. What happens from there is, preparation, awareness, luck and a bunch of other factors.

Shotgun wise I'm not clued up on as much as the others. They are not as easy and simple to operate under stress as you think, they need practice. But they are effective.

Welcome to farm life. It's a great and rewarding lifestyle!

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Hey T, if you don't mind me asking, what are the reasons for the pistol being better at checking bumps at night? I know the obvious ones - easier to carry, have it on your person, probably more reliable and familiar, it's not in a safe locked away and the barrel doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, but are there others? I'm really interested in hearing some notes I haven't noted down yet. Knowledge is power.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SBB View Post
    EDC a pistol always! You will be surprised most farmers don't EDC and don't take security seriously. Its gives you a chance to get to the long guns/ help etc.

Most farmers I know that EDC'd came out on top, my family included. You need a dog's chance and that is what a pistol gets you. What happens from there is, preparation, awareness, luck and a bunch of other factors.

Shotgun wise I'm not clued up on as much as the others. They are not as easy and simple to operate under stress as you think, they need practice. But they are effective.

Welcome to farm life. It's a great and rewarding lifestyle!
    Thanks SSB. My parents are moving to town and we will be moving to the farm. My father doesn't even own a handgun, my mother owns a 38 snubby that she has taken out once to get us to the car while my father was away on a hunting trip and she wasn't comfortable with what was happening, phone lines down and power went out.

I totally realize that I will be on the farm in a different Era to my folks, and I am actually quite relieved to get them out to 'safety'.

I plan on carrying my G19 like you do, can't wait for the license to arrive. We have a 4 month old daughter that is contributing to a bit of paranoia!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Hey T, if you don't mind me asking, what are the reasons for the pistol being better at checking bumps at night? I know the obvious ones - easier to carry, have it on your person, probably more reliable and familiar, it's not in a safe locked away and the barrel doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, but are there others? I'm really interested in hearing some notes I haven't noted down yet. Knowledge is power.
    In addition to your list. You have a hand free to negotiate obstacles, switch on lights etc. You can stow it and not make t obvious you're armed when the noise turns out to be the security company responding, or your neighbor telling you you left your gate open, the the drunk dude in your complex trying to open 123 instead of 132 etc. If youre moving family members its also easier to use one handed.'

It is also a metric shit ton easier to take a long gun off someone at bad breath range than a handgun.

Most people

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Several reasons come to mind. In my personal situation, I may very well need a free hand to open and close gates & doors, hold onto a little one, etc. All much harder to perform with a shotgun.

User

My next purchase will be a handgun for my wife, probably a G26. I would like if she would be happy with a G19 so that our mags are compatible both ways.

Some really good advice here thanks guys, and some things to think on. For now a SLR is not an option, years ago I didn't do the SLR profiency so will take me a long time to get a SLR licensed.

A pump would be cheaper to buy and license, but if I don't need it I would rather spend the money elsewhere - I'll have to think on it!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast