Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Stella
    Age
    41
    Posts
    8,608

    Default Mini-14 in 222 Rem - any in SA?

    No, it is not a typing mistake - just out of interest: Ruger made the Mini 14 in 222 Rem during the early 1980's; mostly for the civilian market in countries which forbid citizens military calibres.

    Has anyone seen one in SA, or maybe even fired one?

  2. #2
    User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,474

    Default Re: Mini-14 in 222 Rem - any in SA?

    Seen lots DsJ. There are relatively plentiful and going for around 10K
    "At least we do not have to fear an attack by a foreign enemy. The local one is doing splendidly." -A-R

  3. #3
    Member KK20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains
    Posts
    11,444

    Default Re: Mini-14 in 222 Rem - any in SA?

    222 or 223?
    live out your imagination , not your history.

  4. #4
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Stella
    Age
    41
    Posts
    8,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Seen lots DsJ. There are relatively plentiful and going for around 10K
    Plentiful in 223; 222 was apparently sold mainly to Australia, Mexico and Europe.

    I have never seen one in 222; only learnt about them a few weeks ago. It sounds really attractive because I have a hunting rifle in 222 but I have also been advised to stay clear from semi's in non-military calibres.

  5. #5
    User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Plentiful in 223; 222 was apparently sold mainly to Australia, Mexico and Europe.

    I have never seen one in 222; only learnt about them a few weeks ago. It sounds really attractive because I have a hunting rifle in 222 but I have also been advised to stay clear from semi's in non-military calibres.
    Oops. I read. 223 not 222
    "At least we do not have to fear an attack by a foreign enemy. The local one is doing splendidly." -A-R

  6. #6
    User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,772

    Default Re: Mini-14 in 222 Rem - any in SA?

    AFAIK those were mainly produced for and shipped to countries were it is illegal for civilians to own "military calibres" such as .223/5.56 etc.

  7. #7
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    762

    Default Re: Mini-14 in 222 Rem - any in SA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    No, it is not a typing mistake - just out of interest: Ruger made the Mini 14 in 222 Rem during the early 1980's; mostly for the civilian market in countries which forbid citizens military calibres.

    Has anyone seen one in SA, or maybe even fired one?
    Never seen one & never heard of one in SA but that doesn't mean there aren't one or 2 out there somewhere.......

    I gather they are quite collectible as they were only manufactured for a short period & as already mentioned were for sale only in countries where civilians couldn't own rifles in military calibres. That didn't & still doesn't apply to us in SA so there wouldn't have been any particular reason for "official" imports & sales of .222's here, but I guess there could have been some special orders or imports.

    Most (but not all) mini 14's I have personally seen in SA are 181 series, which means they were manufactured in 1980 or earlier. Based on this, I would guess that they were imported in 1980-81 or earlier, whereafter perhaps sanctions made it more difficult. The .222 mini 14's were apparently manufactured in about 1984 which puts them in the period where I don't think many mini 14's were imported.

    Serial numbers of rifles produced in 1984 (when the 222's were produced) started with 184, so if there are lots of 184 series guns in SA, my hypothesis will be disproved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •