Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Shot Placement - Eland

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Interested to hear how everyone defines this? I spent a little time this afternoon just summarising some more popular calibres looking at momentum, Ft-Lb, HITS and it is interesting.

HITS is Hornady's attempt to define terminal performance on game. Bullet construction obviously playing a vital role as mentioned previously but not "factored" into my table. PMP mainly used since I have all their information. The .500 Jeff is at 50m.
    Probably one of the most contentious subjects in hunting, killing formulas and whatnot.

Killing is done by humans, and humans differ vastly, so formulas are only as good as the person reading it. People that do culling will probably have a higher success rate with a 223 shooting eland than the average person with a suitable formula combo. Perhaps then formulas must be seen as “what if” scenarios in hunting talk. We are currently debating an eland standing perfectly broadsided, is that a true reflection of hunting reality? In reality we have inclines, angles, terrain obstructions, and a whole lot of things to factor in. Everybody pulls a shot somewhere, even if T-Stone himself pulled a shot with his 6.5 it will be damn difficult to do a follow up shot with the said combo.

Perhaps then we are doing the situation an injustice by asking the questions already asked.
    Maybe we should start by adding all the variables first, which in essence forces you to go with the worst case scenario, and then try and answer the question again.

So, if you want to prepare yourself properly for the scenario, the question to the pro’s is this, you need to prepare yourself to hunt a large eland bull and you want to factor in the variables in order to have all the bases covered. So we consider a quartering shot in some way, and hitting heavy bone, whiles having the need for the bullet to do some lengthy penetration.

Now please give us opinions again, mr Stone and 64 where would you guys start, what would be a safe and sensible start combo for this?

User

Messor..i think you know the answers and here is the thing.

A lot of it boils down to the individual doing the hunting.Like with anything in life,practice and experience will increase the chances of success.
    Lets take 2 fictitious scenarios from a PH's point of view. Two hunters arrive on the farm with an Eland bull on the wish list.
    Hunter no.1 is a young chap bursting with enthusiasm who proudly hauls out his brand new Weatherby super duper Eland slaying weapon which he has bought for the hunt.Although he has not actually fired it yet,he informs you that the 500gr bullet doing 3000fps was recommended to him by the gunshop back home as the ultimate African

User

The second hunter,who you know has hunted all over the world,tells you he brought his 308 which he bought new in '88 and has never seen the need for anything else.
    I know who i will be more comfortable with.
    So,any standard hunting caliber,be it a 7mm,30 cal or up will be fine with a premium bullet put in the right place.

[sorry,dunno why it is splitting my post]

User

You know 64, advice is a funny thing.

The one thing I have learned after starting with online forums is that advice in it's purest form can never be right or wrong.
    When I was new to the scene I tend to give advice on what I knew, but later you realize that people haven't done half of the sh!t you've done, and that the specific advice could be poor advice to some people.

So that is why its interesting to hear the advice of people that have to deal with the problem in the form of customers, like you lot.

In my ignorance, I would say a 180gr premium in any normal 30 cal is a good starting point for most.
    I just think that recoil is no problem in a hunting scenario and that a 338, 9.3 or 375 just do the same with a tad more insurance.

User

Recoil can be a problem in the hunting field.
    A range recoil induced flinch will manifest itself unconsciously in the anticipation of the shot even in the 'heat' of the hunt.

User

Yes Messor,as a specific, a 180gr premium bullet from a 'normal' 30 cal would be a very good starting point.

User

For a large eland bull like this, a .308 caliber but, before some smartass mentions it, not a .300 blk, a .30-30 or a .30 carbine. Say a .308 win or more powerful.

As for bullets, a 165gr or heavier monolithic (Barnes TSX, Hornady GMX, Peregrine) or if a lead cored premium bullet (Nosler Partition, Swift A-frame) at least 180gr. I would avoid bonded bullets that do not have some mechanism to prevent over expansion.

Currently I use a .300 win mag with 180gr Hornady GMX or Peregrine VLR-4 bullets when I need to shoot a mature eland bull.

So in a nutshell would a .308 win with said 168gr mono reliably penetrate into the vitals if it encountered heavy bone?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    So in a nutshell would a .308 win with said 168gr mono reliably penetrate into the vitals if it encountered heavy bone?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    In my experience, yes.

User

I hate giving such a definite answer as i have seen all types of bullets do weird and wonderful things especially when encountering bone.

With 2 extremes....side on shot where bullet encounter bone [a rib] yes it will penetrate.
    .....shot from the rear where bullet encounters hip joint,it will not penetrate.The Eland will not be able to move though,with a broken hip.
    However,the massive shoulder bone,in a simple answer,yes it will penetrate to the vitals.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast