User

Default 1x Scope with same functionality as an Aimpoint?

I'm way out of my lane when it comes to the science behind Aimpoint tech and scopes in general.

What I like about Aimpoints, is that if you can see the dot, you can press the trigger. There is no need for a perfect cheek weld etc. The flip side is that there is no magnification for longer shots.

Are there 1x rifles scopes that offer this same function?

Use will be for driven hunting, and a dot reticle is preferable above dot/cross hair combinations.

User

Default Re: 1x Scope with same functionality as an Aimpoint?

With an Aimpoint-style RDS the aiming dot is projected onto a lens and what you see is it's reflection (well slightly more complicated, but you get the idea). This makes parralax almost non-existent, but not entirely. However, with the lack of magnification, it is not really noticeable at any reasonable distance. Eye relief is also infinite.

With a scope, the recticle is either literally thin wires crossing at the centre, or it is etched on to a lens. The more complex recticles are all etched. This requires a totally different lens setup to a RDS and requires your aiming eye to be more or less centred in the scope axis. The eye relief is also fixed, with only a small room for error. A scope also allows for adjustable magnification, so it may be 1x at the lowest setting, but can go up to 4x, 6x or 8x, depending on your budget etc.

While both can offer a true unmagnified sight picture, the RDS is much more forgiving to eye alignment.

Having said that, a properly fitted stock is a great aid in getting instant sight aquisition and alignment on any gun, and especially on a scoped rifle.

User

Socrates,
    I've had a Leupold 1x20 Prismatic scope on my FAL for quite some time now. This has a permanently etched reticle, one MOA dot in a bigger circle. It has an illuminating ring attachment to light it up.I'd give my eye-teeth to get another one or similar mainly because it has a single mount system.They are no longer in production but I'm led to believe Leupold is busy putting another one together to replace it in the near future. I'd certainly get another when they are on the market again. I think Athlon has/had a similar scope also.
    Used mine on running pigs for years now
    Google and check.

User

Vortex spitfire prism scope.
    1x. 1 moa dot, larger circle, green or red illumination. I am very happy with mine have a look. @rodrage sounds similar to yours uave a look

User

Thanks Gertjie,
    That does look good
    Rod