Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Father and son spearfishing /Rock&surf fishing trip to the Breederivier

Good day to all members, I believe all is well and good and you are enjoying a much needed holiday to rest.
    My family and I are off to a spearfishing /Rock &surf fishing trip near the Breederivier. This will be Ruan`s first ever experience in spearfishing as well as Rock &surf fishing with his own rod/reel as well as with his own spearfishing outfit.
    We will make use of a GO-PRO 7 action camera to get some spearfishing videos as well as the Rock & surf fishing that we are going to do..will upload a lot of photos and videos for you to enjoy...

User

Default Re: Father and son spearfishing /Rock&surf fishing trip to the Breederivier

Great, Gert

Cannot wait to see it, due to my upcoming wedding I am bound at home, so only some local spearing sports for me

Default Re: Father and son spearfishing /Rock&surf fishing trip to the Breederivier

Looking forward to the pics.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

I’ve never done spearfishing. Always wanted to, though. After having been unable to catch them from the side, I decided to get a speargun the next time round and shoot the damn things.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Spearfishing is one of the greatest sport a person can participate in, you do not need to compete against any other person like in rugby. It is only you and the fish , they always have more bottom time than me, sometimes I need to go up again to the surface to get some air, they usually do not do that...I usually get them when I wait around the reef and rocks, at least they are not as scared as game when hunting....
    Rock and surf is my next great sport , I really have more success in this department..but I hope to have a lot of success this year in both sports...

Another add on will be using the GO-PRO 7 Action camera to film the spearfishing events..as well as landing the rock /surf fish...

My wife had a great laugh when I embarked on getting into my diving suite , the first time in ten years again, it really looked very funny, I was about without breath when I finally manage to get into my dive suite...it really was a great struggle...
    Just to get some of the members interested into spear fishing , here are a few links to enjoy the beauty of spear-fishing..

Banned

Hello Gert.
    Good luck. Hope the visibility is good and you are fit.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Niekiepienaar View Post
    Hello Gert.
    Good luck. Hope the visibility is good and you are fit.
    Niekie, I think I will be able to keep my breath for some time still, the older you get the better you can regulate your breathing...I will do relaxed spearfishing dives , keep it to ten meters at the most, since the area is quite rocky , so ambushing the fish will be the strategy to use, kob, musselcracker and shad usually frequent shallow rocky banks , this will be the areas where I will be spearfishing for them..the tides are great , early morning low tide , midday high tide for fishing, while spearfishing the mornings ...evenings around a fire to braai some fish...I want to make a few canned bottles of curry fish as well to take home..I will be taking along a 70 liter gas/12v/220 volt fridge as well, so I will be able to bring back a lot of fillets as well...no pressure at all, the main aim is to teach Ruan the basics of spear fishing , that is why I will keep the limit to ten meters ....

Banned

I cant wait for the videos. I am in the same boat as you with my son. He is still a bit young (8). Just bought him a wet suit. We have a an abundance of rock pools from 1-10 meter deep and I cannot keep him out of the water. Great sport.

User

I haven't done much spearing since moving to J-Bay, but one of the old tricks I found worked with fish struggling to "come in" was to swim upside down "away" from the fish, in almost a seated position but with my gun facing back towards my flippers. The odd cracker got curious enough to "follow" me thinking I was propelling away from it and not a threat, only to turn broadside and get poked.

Enjoy it, lovely area that and I hope the tax man doesn't relieve you of any well earned fish!

User

Lucky fish (pun intended!) Geniet dit en veilig vis.

IMG_1795.JPG

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast