Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Binoculars for hunting

Looking to buy binoculars for hunting, also walk and stalk.

Suggestions from experience?

Banned

Default Re: Binoculars for hunting

An 8x40mm set of binos give great field of view and clarity, BUT they are usually too large and bulky when hunting.

I carry a 10 x 25 Hawke bino in my top pocket. When I cannot discern something that might be of interest, it is easy to extract and with one hand focus and have a beter view of the unknown object. It is also good enough to identify trophy quality at reasonable range and make sure of size and age of the animal you are viewing. The benefits are light weight, portability and lenses that are good enough to better idenytify the quarry.

User

I prefer the 10x42
    I recently got a pair of Kahles RF 10x42.
    The rangefinding is helpful for a PH, as you can keep eyes on the animal while constantly ranging for the client. So it's easier than having a pair of binoculars AND a rangerfinder
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    So it's easier than having a pair of binoculars AND a rangerfinder
    I fully agree. Having to swop between the binox and the monocular range finder is a schlep

I am looking at a Rudolph 8x42 with range finder built in

I've also been using a 10x25 that fits in my shirt pocket for multiple purposes (hunting, hiking, bird and game viewing) but just pulled the trigger on a Vortex Dimondback 10x42. With a propper harnas i believe it will be very comfortable, but only time will tell. For the price they punch far above their weight and VIP warrantee. The rangefinder options was a bit out of my budget.
    Ps. Habitat Africa has them on special now.
    Not affiliated with any of the above

Go look on allbinos.com for proper reviews.

Recently got myself the Vortex Viper HD 10x42 and I couldn’t be happier. They compare very favourably to my brother’s Zeiss Conquest HDs.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Also look at the Leupold BX range. I bought a BX-3 Mojave and I'm very satisfied. I couldn't afford the HD version, but the clarity is still outstanding.

I plan on getting a chest rigto use them while out hunting. They are much smaller than I anticipated.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Charl eland View Post
    Looking to buy binoculars for hunting, also walk and stalk.
    You lost me, right there.

User

The terrain you hunt in will have a major influence in your choice. What is perfect for the wide open plains and mountains of the Karoo will not be perfect for bushveld hunting. For the former area, a 10x42 or even a 12x50 will be appropriate, for bush work, I find that a 8x30 or similar works well.

For the larger binos a proper chest harness is important. As with scopes, buy the best you can afford. Reasonably priced binos that perform well are made by Nikon and Vortex.

User

I have a pair of 8x25 and 10x25 Lynx's that have served me well for many years. Light strap over the neck and they ride in the top pocket under the flap. This keeps them out of the dust, stops them snagging when crawling or in tight undergrowth and works for the type of hunting I have the opportunity to practice. I must agree on lens quality and the advice to buy the best you can afford, these work fine for me but up against some of my mates Swaros or Leica's the difference is obvious.

In fairness I have also taken both binos on voorsit hunts and not bothered with them and simply zoomed to 9x on the scope to check things out.

Lens quality does not beat technique and nothing beats sitting and glasing an area properly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast