Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Post Suppressor options for Remington 700 .308 Heavy Barrel

Good Morning,

I am looking at suppressor options for my Remington 700 .308 with a 20" heavy barrel. I don't know much about what to look for and what to avoid and which brands I should go with.

My reasons are:

I see more and more hunting farms requiring their clients to shoot only with rifles that have been suppressed.
    It reduces noise and recoil. (The shorter 20" barrel and inclined to be louder)
    I am sure the guy sitting next to you at the range will appreciate it as well.

User

Default Re: Suppressor options for Remington 700 .308 Heavy Barrel

What budget you looking at? There’s various models at varying prices, local to imported. I have an ASE Utra on my Steyr Prohunter 308 and it’s very quiet and feels like a .22 when shooting. The ASE is expensive though...but will last my lifetime.
    :-)

User

I would like to buy once and only once. So I was looking at around 5K..again suppressors are new to me so I don't really know what is budget and what is expensive for a quality suppressor.

Hi, remember to post an introduction in the relevant section of the Forum.

If your barrel is already threaded as is the case with the SPS Tactical, it will be with a 5/8 - 24 pitch.

If not, that is the pitch to go for with the .308.

I can then recommend the Ace Utra brake / suppressor combination (suppressors fit over the muzzle brake) (refer to Europtic Africa) or the Saimaa still suppressors (refer to Hailstorm) or just the screw on suppressors from these two companies. I think those two options are state of the art. If you opt for the suppressor over the brake then you don't have to screw the suppressor off from the barrel itself and back on each and every time that you want to clean the gun. This could avoid unnecessary potential damage to the threads on the gun. The brake itself can be left on the gun for longer before cleaning between the interface with the barrel. It is also lighter than the suppressor and chances of damaging the threads when screwing on and off is a bit less in my experience. With both the ACE UTRA and SAAIMA Still you then get quick attach suppressors that fits onto the brake. The ACE Utra is very short but very effective but a bit heavy. The SAIMAA is very good despite being not heavy. It also vents the gasses and debris out of the barrel rather than having blowback into the barrel and action.

You can also have a suppressor made by a competent gunsmith. Do a bit of homework here and rather avoid just anyone who has a workshop of some sorts in his backyard. Also specifically make it an essential term of your agreement with the gunsmith as to how long he will take with the project. Also make sure that the person is in fact a registered gunsmith with the SAPS before you leave your rifle with him. There are less than a handful in SA which i will trust my rifles to in future. Your options would be aluminum with steel baffles or a steel suppressor. As you would not want to add to much weight you may want to go the aluminum route, depending on how much you plan on shooting.

Some companies like Mkonto also make a reflex suppressor, which goes over the barrel, this will safe on overall length. The finish they apply may however from past experience come off relatively easily.

Otherwise there were a couple of discussions on suppressors manufacturers a while ago (search function may assist). Also a comprehensive review about two years ago in a magazine where a number of suppressors on the market were compared to each other.

User

IMHO, I refuse to hunt on a farm where a suppressor is mandatory. I like classic rifles and will not alter them to suit the farmer. As long as he wants our money, he’ll have to compromise.

First choice - Ase Utra

First local choice - Sus-Tac

User

I agree with Wesley!

User

Any opinions or insights on the Sus-Tac Hunter with the integral muzzle brake?

http://sus-tac.co.za/index.php/products/test-2

User

If I am not mistaken, they do not manufacture those anymore. As far as I know, you can have suppressor only, or suppressor with external muzzle break.

Best is to speak to them directly.

Expert service!

User

If you can afford it, get an Ase Utra. Sus-Tac are the best locally produced suppressors in my opinion. Both are small and light weight which is what you would need for a hunting gun.

User

Gunwarrior make a nice range of silencers. They have various modular options to fit most needs.

www.gunwarrior.co.za

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast