Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: FRONTIER 55GN CMJ FLAT POINT 223

Quote Originally Posted by carleng View Post
    What case prep do you do?

I also have a LM5 and I'm busy getting my reloading regimen sorted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Case prep is a PITA.

I deprime and resize the cases. Tumble them. Clean out the primer pocket with a LEE primer pocket cleaner. Then i case gauge the cases and trim any which are too long with a LEE case trimmer for 223.

I prime off the press with a LEE hand primer.

Then case gauge once loaded.

Also check your final round for any defects or dents on the case shoulder. My LM HATES a case with a damaged shoulder. I thought the LM would be quiet slutty and eat anything, but she is very picky.

Damaged case shoulders destroyed a national for me years ago, she kept jamming up.

I hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    What was the problem with the Frontiers not working? Whats your barrel twist? I've shot out to 300m accurately with the Frontiers out my LM
    Twist is 1:9 which i assume should not be an issue. I also did proper case prep with trimming, s/s wet tumbling and inside chamfering to prevent damage to the bullet plating when seating. Problem was lead core and plating separation and i tried variations of powder charges to lower the speed and also removed the crimp but could not get it right. Eventually gave up and moved to fmj bullets which had no issues.

Do you know of any shops selling smaller quantities of these new flat points (like 100-off). Would like to give it a go again but do not want a 1000.

User

Quote Originally Posted by woelofse View Post
    Ady, just to confirm - you are also loading flat points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would caution against a 25gr load in your ADC before working up there with a chrono.
    The ADC's have tight chambers and you will likely find that your 23.5gr load will be close to the 25gr load in the LM, especially with your increased barrel length.

I am making good progress and should be able to post some feedback this afternoon. I agree - the 23.5gn 321 seems to do the job for me.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gbvl View Post
    Twist is 1:9 which i assume should not be an issue. I also did proper case prep with trimming, s/s wet tumbling and inside chamfering to prevent damage to the bullet plating when seating. Problem was lead core and plating separation and i tried variations of powder charges to lower the speed and also removed the crimp but could not get it right. Eventually gave up and moved to fmj bullets which had no issues.
    I know Frontier had a probelm with their bullets a while ago, but they sorted their plating out. I haven't heard of any issues since

Ok, so this afternoon I shot 6 groupings of 3 shots each at 50m, all loaded with 55gn Frontier cmj flat points and 23,5gn S321 with a full factory crimp. The col was in the range 54,0mm to 54,5mm. I got the best grouping on 54,3mm and I will stick to that. My rifle cycled all the cartridges smoothly and no signs of excessive pressure could be seen on the spent brass. Please note, I’m not saying this is the right load data for all 223 slr rifles. I’m merely giving feedback as to what works for me. Thank you for everybody that pointed me in the right direction. Have fun and be safe!

User

Nice. Gald you came right

I bought my points through Gerhard De Wet. You will find him on Facebook. They come in packets of 200 each.

Quote Originally Posted by woelofse View Post
    I bought my points through Gerhard De Wet. You will find him on Facebook. They come in packets of 200 each.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2