Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Vellies : Making our own , Wallace Vosloo our mentor

Very nice.
    Is it comfortable?

Some questions Gert.

Have wanted to make a pair ever since I saw MC Heunis making a pair for Willie. I thought you needed a shoe former, apparently not.

1. I get how your get the sole dimensions, I did note that on picture 1 that the pinkie toe extended past the sewing line. Care to elaborate as to how your squashed it in?
    2. I get how you get the front cover for the toes etc. How did you shape the leather? Did you wet it and hand form it?
    3. Your are scoring the soles with a Stanley knife, why? Is this to make that material easier to sew?
    4. You don't show how to get the rear piece of the vellie. Would you care to ex[plain.
    5. Look like you allowed about 10 to 12mm additional for the area where the sewing to the sole takes place.

Cheers
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

Very informative. How long does it take to make a pair?

User

Very nice, I hope they give you many moons of service
    Something interesting and truly one of a kind

User

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Some questions Gert.

Have wanted to make a pair ever since I saw MC Heunis making a pair for Willie. I thought you needed a shoe former, apparently not.

1. I get how your get the sole dimensions, I did note that on picture 1 that the pinkie toe extended past the sewing line. Care to elaborate as to how your squashed it in?
    2. I get how you get the front cover for the toes etc. How did you shape the leather? Did you wet it and hand form it?
    3. Your are scoring the soles with a Stanley knife, why? Is this to make that material easier to sew?
    4. You don't show how to get the rear piece of the vellie. Would you care to ex[plain.
    5. Look like you allowed about 10 to 12mm additional for the area where the sewing to the sole takes place.

Cheers
    Andrew, there is about five millimeters space around the real foot dimensions..when you completed the shoes you have to wet it / fill it with hot water, let it cool a little bit and put the shoes on, walk with them until they are dried out..it will take the form of your foot....

We cut a shallow furrow about ten millimeters under the sole for the thread to be concealed so you do not walk the thread into pieces...I did glue crepe sole onto my leather sole for extra durability .

Yes, you need to wet the parts all along the sides with hot water to fold the rim over that form a flat base around the sides of the shoe, you then take the stitch roller and roll along the sides to enable you to make stitches to stitch the parts together..
    Yes, 10 to 12mm about it depends on the form that you draw from your foot...and the two measurements measured on the foot as shown in the photos..

User

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTRE View Post
    Very informative. How long does it take to make a pair?
    Walalce Vosloo take two days to complete a set, he is a master crafts man...I like to take my time , up to four days to complete when I make a pair of vellies...Good quality leather is quite expensive, when buying at WOODHEADS, Cape Town expect to pay around R4000 for a skin /panel ( not a complete leather skin)

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Very nice.
    Is it comfortable?
    Extremely comfortable since it is your own foot you are molding the leather around..it really walk/stalk softly without any noise, you can feel the soil under your feet..

User

Molding the parts:
    Here are photos to explain the molding/folding procedures:
    Wet under hot water:

Fold on the 10 mm pencil lines and leave to dry:

Completed procedures:

Creating the stitching line spacer

Gert! I get so excited when I see a new thread from you - you never cease to write up some fascinating stuff.....and you do it so well with beautiful photos to accompany your text.

Lekker, man, lekker!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet View Post
    Gert! I get so excited when I see a new thread from you - you never cease to write up some fascinating stuff.....and you do it so well with beautiful photos to accompany your text.

Lekker, man, lekker!
    Hallo Sweet, you know by now that it is always great to hear from you again, how are things going on your side?? Sweet and members, please keep in mind, all this was made possible for Ruan and me only by my good friend Dr. Wallace Vosloo, a great person, and a mentor par excellence, Wallace Vosloo has the capability to take an extremely difficult concept and explain/show you to enable a normal person to build/make an item or project ...Wallace really excels when he starts explaining /showing you to master a craft...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast