Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Vellies : Making our own , Wallace Vosloo our mentor

Very cool Gert! Told my Mrs and father in law this is a project to attempt!

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Very cool Gert! Told my Mrs and father in law this is a project to attempt!
    Go for it DaanvG, you will enjoy it very much...send me your Whatsapp to 0842062257 so I can link you to Wallace Vosloo , he will be able to give you a step by step tutorial to make your vellies...make sure you buy good quality leather..

Daan , I am contemplating making a complete set ready assemble velskoen set so a person who wants to try making a pair of velskoene will have less work to do. He only needs to sow /stitch the part together to make his own velskoene..

User

Good day members, here are a few photos of the new pair of Velskoene I am making for my wife.

Here are all the tools you need to make the vellies. Wallace , said he only needs a knife, two needles, thread and an awl.

Cutting the furrow into the sole to enable the thread to be concealed. This ensure that when you do not fit another thicker leather sole , the tread will not be damage when walking. I like to fit/glue on a crepe sole...

Will upload more detailed photos as I make progress..

User

Busy completing another pair of velskoene, stitching is still not perfect but I am working on it... :When completed the velskoene will be filled with hot water, and wear until it is nearly fry and had conformed to a person`s foot form..

User

Update: Good , members, I commenced with my second pair of "Vellies". I am making some changes to this pair that I like very much. I am stitching an extra piece of leather into the back of the shoe to ensure it does not worn out so fast...I will be inserting another layer onto the inside sole of the shoe..to give a nice soft inside..here are some photos of the process:

User

I am making progress in completing my second pair of "velskoene" . Some photos, I did some changes to this pair ....here are some photos : I decided to make the stitching longer , it is difficult to get a straight line when stitching narrow stitches..

Nice Gert! I am interested to see if that 2nd piece of leather at the back is going to give you blisters at the top where the leather meets your Achilles tendon? I have a pair of Vellies (bought) that have the same idea (the piece is not as wide as yours maybe 1cm) and its taking time for my skin to toughen up...

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Nice Gert! I am interested to see if that 2nd piece of leather at the back is going to give you blisters at the top where the leather meets your Achilles tendon? I have a pair of Vellies (bought) that have the same idea (the piece is not as wide as yours maybe 1cm) and its taking time for my skin to toughen up...
    Daan, use leather oil to soften the piece at the heel, I bought leather oil from a saddle shop, it really makes the leather very soft, although it changes the color of the leather as well..so before applying the leather oils, finish the coloring you want on your vellies...by sanding down a handmade velskoen, you can achieve different types of finishes on the vellies..

Example:
    Vellies sanded lightly, conditioning/waterproof liquid applied:

Vellies sanded more with courser grain sanding paper , same finish applied:

Thanks Gert

User

I completed my second set of velskoene, now it is only the finishing /leather lotion application that is left..
    I will glue the thick leather soles onto the velskoene tomorrow..these soles are seven millimeter thick, so I will be walking a few miles before I need to replace it..on second thoughts, I am going to glue a crepe sole onto the thick leather sole as well....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast