Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Getting started in Competition

I have recently moved to Roodepoort and I am looking for clubs with fun crowds of people to shoot with. I am planning on going to the Tacshac event on Sunday though they host most of their shoots during the week which I can't attend and their once a month shoot on a Sunday just isn't going to cut it for me. Maybe I can get away with that later in the year when most of my projects are completed but for now I am looking at joining shoots on Saturdays or Sundays or both.

JDPC doesn't seem to be a good option according to some on this forum and apart from that I am considering going to Centurion next month because driving a Land Cruiser with only half a salary in Feb is just not on

I have done some IDPA matches when I was still in the Cape but I would like to give IPSC a go and see where it leads. I have time and money to spend especially after leaving my ex and I am just looking to join friendly and helpful clubs, I don't mind driving (apart from this month)

User

IPSC. Central Gauteng league at Golden City this weekend. Sat and Sun

Northern Gauteng league at Vektor. Also Sat and Sun

User

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    IPSC. Central Gauteng league at Golden City this weekend. Sat and Sun

Northern Gauteng league at Vektor. Also Sat and Sun
    Cool! I should be able to swing by the Vektor range on Saturday as I will be passing through the area. Do any of these clubs allow visitors to take part as and when I have time to join their activities?

User

Vektor does for their club shoots IIRC. Leagues you need to affiliate to a province and SAPSA

Golden City you need to go through a vetting process as a member

User

Ok so I stepped up to the plate and did my first shoot at SBSC on 23 Feb. Was a lot of fun and a real eye opener, made all kinds of mistakes.

Well this weekend I am back on the horse to shoot the HPSC club shoot and hope for it to go just a little bit better, just want to beat myself, slow things down, relax and enjoy.

My hands were jelly and my biggest problem, was not seating the mags properly after a mag change. Very embarrassing, but know to work on that now.

Accuracy wasn't too bad, but under pressure I left some targets out completely hurting the score big time, also had Mikes when there was a no shoot target on top of the normal target, so I tend to shoot over those.

Was a great experience and all I can do is enjoy and try to improve ME.

Hope to be able to join one of your classes soon BigT.

User

Good job dude.

User

I am happy to say that my second shoot went a lot better than the first, came in 13th overall (Production) best stage I was 10th.....I know I know, it depends who shot etc etc. But it was a huge improvement over my first shoot...Even if it was only 38% of the top shooter on the day....now it's more excitement than stress before each stage. What I will work on now, is to move a lot faster on the stage as that is something I can work on right now, and then work on all the finer more important things as much as I can, as I know that only comes with time and a lot of practice.

Will join SAPSA and NGPSA as soon as possible so I can start shooting some league matches as well.

User

Nicely done

Consider getting into a shooting position sooner and leaving sooner. Sometimes it’s not just about being a fast runner

User

Well done. It's always a good feeling, and good for self confidence to see any improvements, regardless of how big or small they are.

Trying to isolate focus points to improve on is a good idea, its easier than to try develop everything at once. There is a lot of time to gain in movement on the longer stages yes, but as Neilh mentioned, a lot of time is waisted on entering and exits of positions. Good luck, and welcome, sounds like you are hooked for good and remember to always have fun !

User

Thanks guys,

I am still learning the jargon and reading up on Hit Factor and and and, but I get what you are saying, be more explosive, stop get on target as fast as possible without hurting one's accuracy. Little by little it will become faster.

Now I am sure I can be much faster than I shot the last two, as I basically walked those, but I understand one would get to a point where you are still far off the top guys, as that is where all the small things that happen to make up time.

On the short stages for instance on the one, Marco Botha shot it in 9 sec and I shot it in 16 sec, but on the longer stages I was much slower.

I was on the range last weekend and set up two points to move between, and I felt like lightning..........but I had someone take video and it looked more like I had knee replacements then the 3 shoulder ops I had. hahaha. But I take being safe very seriously and the 90 degree rule, so I also concentrate on that, and I thought I had the gun in the "Work Space" while I was running, but it drops far away from that, still safe though, but one can gain time there as well.

I am going to stick with normal holsters for now as I won't make up much time with a speed holster at the moment, as I am so slow on the other things, so not going to spend money on that for now.

Will Solomans make me faster? hahaha. No F...ck them, they are anti-gun.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast