Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Getting started in Competition

I'm looking to shoot my first competition this year so this is a great post.

As an aside, are there any local competitions that allow shooting from appendix concealment like some levels of USPSA?

User

Quote Originally Posted by GlockFirst View Post
    As an aside, are there any local competitions that allow shooting from appendix concealment like some levels of USPSA?
    Why would you want this?

User

I'm looking to shoot my first competition this year so this is a great post.

Yes there is, but at this stage it is by invitation only and it is not (yet) a recognised discipline that gets you dedicated status etc. Well actually it isn't a competition like an IDPA or IPSC event. We also don't shoot for medals or being competitive. The score sheets lists your times for each stage and whether you survived or lived. At the last one none of us survived. But we learn a lot. Most of us do sport shooting mainly and shoot this type of thing as an alternative to real competitive sport shooting. And we leave our ego's at home.

Do some kind of sport shooting for at least a year and then ask about Paladin Shooting Discipline, there are a few regulars on this forum.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vega5 View Post
    Why would you want this?
    So that the sport shooting also provides reps under a bit of stress for the way I carry in the real world.

User

Competition isn't the real world
    Train appendix draws in your own time with a timer with a difficult par time. Enough stress

Also drawing the gun is a very small part of competition shooting

User

Quote Originally Posted by neilh View Post
    Competition isn't the real world
    Train appendix draws in your own time with a timer with a difficult par time. Enough stress

Also drawing the gun is a very small part of competition shooting
    If you can get carry reps in while shooting competition why wouldn't you want to do it. What's the downside?

Does being alone with a timer really provide the same amount of stress as shooting a competition stage?

If you can get carry reps in while shooting competition why wouldn't you want to do it. What's the downside?

Does being alone with a timer really provide the same amount of stress as shooting a competition stage?
    It is not realistic enough to carry over properly. You aren't going to be drawing from concealment in all likelihood. Your gear is not going to be competitive. Sport shooting and face shooting are both competitions, but with different stakes. Shooting sport "just for fun", "against myself" or for "training for the Real World" is a mindset failure. Shoot to win.

Also, 15 to 20 draws, assuming a big match, is not going to give you anywhere close to enough repetitions to be meaningful training.

Its plenty stressful provided you have the correct mindset and are adequately competitive with yourself.

It wasn't me that said this but it is true. If you cannot separate competition from training for shooting people in the face, perhaps you shouldn't be doing either.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

You can practice more than an entire nationals worth of draws in 5 minutes at home or a normal range.

Bonus, they are close enough together that you can record times and adjust technique between them.

A match itself is not an efficient place to practice for either sport or SD

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Last paragraph should be copied to quote of the day .
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    It wasn't me that said this but it is true. If you cannot separate competition from training for shooting people in the face, perhaps you shouldn't be doing either.
    Gospel. Quote of the year award winner and its only May.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast