Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Getting something smaller

Hey guys! So recently I've been having some issues with, let's say, compatibility. I own a CZ 85, and I've carried and shot this pistol a lot over the years. However, recently I find that I'm carrying it less and less for two reasons:

1. Holsters are impossible to find for a left-handed shooter in SA, unless I fork out big money.
    2. It's becoming heavier and heavier, and with a fresh dress code at the office the above issue is making it impossible to carry to the office anymore.
    3. It's ruining my clothes. Literally. Brand new shirt - sight hole. Brand new jeans - worn through.

Now, I've been contemplating changing over to a smaller platform for a while now, and since I don't get around to IPSC shooting as often at all anymore, I don't see the benefit of keeping this old all-steel machine around. Yes, it shoots nice. Yes, it shoots true. Yes, it works flawlessly. But what does that help me when I find it in the safe more and more often these days? It's also not intentional, I don't know why but it just happens. I've taken to playing around with a smaller gun in my pants (hur-hur) and the improvement, shall I say, is incredible. Just a polymer frame's reduced weight it such a big change my pants doesn't sag and it doesn't eat my jeans anymore.

So I'm STRONGLY considering selling it off and getting something smaller. However, to make the shift, the size has to be worth it. And being a CZ fan, this doesn't come easy when I say I'm not impressed with their sub-compact offerings. Yes, they have the 2075 RAMI, but when last did you see one in SA? No to mention it's still a metal pistol, meaning it's still heavier than, say, a Glock 26. And bigger. Slightly. But still, I don't see the use.

So I'm considering, STRONGLY, to jump into the Glock box with it's dark, rotten cookies and all. I've been thinking about it and a G43 would be amazing, but I don't see the point of that ~4mm width reduction, slight weight improvement while losing out on the magazine compatibility the G26 has with the larger pistols. So, is there anyone with opinions on the matter for me?

As a PS: I'm going to have to sell of the 85 to fund the 26. I can't keep them both, not for now anyway.

User

Default Re: Getting something smaller

The one time I had the chance to shoot a 43, I remember it as being a snappy little bugger, so I would not want one as an only handgun. The 26 just gives more flexibility, you get mag compatibility as you mentioned, grip extenders if the grip is too short and holsters galore. 26 FTW in my opinion, although I really want a 43, it would make EDC a breeze.

User

I have few g42s, and a few G26es, and have shot and handled the 43's, They are all great. But everything I can tell you about them has been said a lot already. I have carried a lot of different sized Glocks at one time or another. In the end, there is no true "multi mission" edc that can do all jobs the best. What you gain in one area you always give up in another.

I recommend that you have a very long and very serious look, in person, at the G43X.

User

What's the difference between the G43 vs G43X? I've checked on Glock's site, and all I can see is that it has a slightly longer grip. In fact, longer than the G26's. Like 20mm longer than the G26's, and I still can't slip a G19 mag in there.

Oh, and it's silver. So I can't spec ops in the night with it, people will see me shining from a block away.

User

The "slight" difference in width makes a helluva difference in carry comfort (speaking from M&P9c & Shield experience here).
    I've always believed he 9c is the ideal carry gun, namely G26 size but 2 rounds more, and more comfy to shoot. You won't find it new anymore and the "new" M&P compact is G19 sized. New Shields are crazy prices...
    CZ just filled the 9c-shaped gap in the market with the P10S. If you're not going to go all the way smaller to a G43, I'd strongly consider this.

Your dress code really does make a difference to what you can easily conceal or not. I have and carry the 43, and it's a pleasure. The only really downside is the mag capacity off course, but you can easily slip another mag in your pocket. Try them all if possible. A proper belt and holster helps as well. With regards to being snappy, good grip and training makes a huge difference. Enjoy the experience.

User

Look I'm not scared of recoil. However, I do know that it does affect your speed to get back on target and and and, but again, I got big, strong hands so it's not a major issue. I would, however, prefer to be able to get a few more rounds in the magazine. 10 is nice, yes, but having 10 (or 12 with a +2 shoe) in the gun and 16 in the mag in your pocket is betterer. I've almost made up my mind on the 26 at this stage, until...

P10S. I haven't heard of this gun before, so I Googled it just now. It's slightly heavier, slightly longer but the same width at the G26. When will they land in SA and will they also come with the tritium fronts as advertised here?

User

I'm starting to explore as well, being in a similar boat. I have a compact and am considering options for a backup/smaller option. I am by no means an expert or have a particular preference on brand. But I have gently started looking at G43, G26, Shield and am looking forward to the P10S when it lands.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

I am in the same boat have a CZ75 I have had for about 20 years. T
    he other day I took my wife along to a club shoot and I used her CZ P07 ..... I think it is time to change

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Did you see the Glock 19 at give away price?
    It's not difficult to conceal.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast