Thread: Brno. 22

Default Brno. 22

Morning Guys.

I'm currently in the process of taking over my Dad's old Brno. 22 as discussed in a previous post. Paper work is currently being put together. My Dad lives about 2 km from me so it's easy to go across and fiddle with the rifle. Im in the process of "modernizing" it and fitting a better scope etc. The problem I'm having is that the Rings I want/just installed are not high enough to lift the scope over the factory iron sights. If I use the older rings, my check is completelty off the stock just to see my cross hairs. I've looked on You Tube and seen how to remove the rear sight on a brno but not found anything on the front sight. It's not mounted on a dove tail. Just behind the front sight is a line mark on the barrel that goes right the way around. Are these sights threaded on? It "looks" like the front sight is a barrel extension, for the lack of a better word. Any help on removing this sight would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Brno. 22

Keep the front sight on, it will be totally out of focus so you won't really notice it in the scope's sight picture.
    Keep the rear sight and any mounting hardware safe, so that you can replace it at any time should you choose to.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Keep the front sight on, it will be totally out of focus so you won't really notice it in the scope's sight picture.
    Keep the rear sight and any mounting hardware safe, so that you can replace it at any time should you choose to.
    +1. My son has a pellet gun with the same problem. We got so used to it that we dont notice it anymore.

User

+1. Even an orange fibre front sight on my airgun is only faintly visible through the scope.

User

Default Brno. 22

Keep in mind, that your mount height on Brno .22s (and ZKKs for that matter) is not dictated by the scope clearing the barrel but more on the bolt lift clearing the ocular bell.

Especially if you are mounting a bigger scope.

I made this error, bought some Warne medium rings for my Model 1, fitted the 3-9x40 Bushnell Elite and headed out to go sight it in only to find I could not open the bolt.
    Back to the shop for some high rings.

And yes, leave the front sight where it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

The front sight base ring is soldered on to the barrel.

I would not try to use heat to remove it, as that could damage the barrel if done incorrectly.

It could be turned down or you could even have the barrel shortened to remove it. No need to go there unless you want to have the barrel threaded for a supressor.