Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Help with covert cameras needed

Quote Originally Posted by Niekiepienaar View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. How can you use your 80 year old mother to handle large sums of cash in today's environment in South Africa? How does the domestic borrow your safe key? Can she borrow the fire-arm safe key? Security cameras wont help in this situation. The setup will have to change. I have installed hundreds of these cameras and are familiar with the successes and fails of this type of security. Security start with YOU. Once you are security conscience then you can start using security TOOLS to help you in your quest.
    Let me put this into perspective.

The domestic worker was deemed trustworthy and part of the furniture already as so many people in SA do with their domestics.
    What I find quite amusing is that some people fret and faint at the sight of domestic workers being trusted unconditionally as is the case here but yet they will let the domestic worker stay in and raise their kids whilst they have a career to look after.

His business is rentals of rooms and houses as well as business property rentals for the lower income groups.

His Mother and the Domestic worker together with a security guard collect the rentals as he is a developer and engineer and never on the property to do so.

They do it together as many of the local black folks don't not speak English well and hence the domestic worker has the job of communicating to everyone on the property.

The property is a huge small holding where there is many business units as well as flats/accommodation units.

I was being kind when I said she borrowed the safe key, what I meant is she was stealing the safe key when the boss was away and then replacing it without him knowing it until he became suspicious of money being short.

Not all people are alike when it comes to security and trusting people hence I posted this request as I know he is to much of a" gentleman" for lack of a better word.
    There are no firearms or firearms safes in this home so she can not borrow the safe key but remember she can still make a cup of tea.
    The first firearm application is in for consideration as we speak because of my persuasion skills too.

As I also said in my initial post he needs a professional complete outsider to deal with this as purchasing his own cameras and installing them is not an option.

He will pay someone professional to assist with this matter.

User

A preventative control will always be better than a detective control (prevent the risk before the risk materialises).

Consider improving the controls around the cash collection process. There will be times when they would be out of sight of the most comprehensive camera systems.

You have not mentioned what cash collection controls are in place, but here are some pointers to consider:

• Encourage clients to pay via EFT, where possible. The less cash you have to deal with, the better.
    • Come up with a cash handover process that will ensure the completeness of the cash received. This is to ensure that all cash collected agrees to the records, per transaction. Sign by the client and the receiver after confirmation of the amount. Use the domestic worker as an interpreter and limit it to that, she should not handle the cash if there are two others (mother and security) there.
    • Once the individual cash takings have been collected and agreed that all is correct, that cash should be safeguarded. Consider placing each cash taking into a once-off (seal-able) cash bag, as used by the cash in transit companies. Write on the bag the clients name and a reference number and seal it (do not write the amount on the outside of the bag, write the amount on a piece of paper to place inside the bag). Write the reference number and amount in a book. Drop these bags into the safe in their sealed bags, ticking off as you go down the list in the book.
    • At the end of the day, independent checks should be performed. Check that all the bags are there, per the reference number. Reconcile the cash takings vs the amount in the book. Safeguard the key to the safe.
    • Do not place this money back in the same safe. Keep it separate, so that the drop safe only has each individual days takings.
    • Ensure that each member of the “cash collection team” understands their role in the process and who is responsible for the cash at what point. Handover is key, even between members of this team.

There is a bit of extra cost and admin with this process, but way less than the losses you have suffered.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevorm View Post
    Without doubt.

We use Neal Harvey (084 352 9125). We were able to get some good pics at a recent robbery at the dealership that led to very quick arrests due to the system he put in for us.
    Thanks will pass it on to him.

User

R400 camera that looks like a globe, screws into any fitting. Connects via WiFi. We found them when we had had unfounded concerns with my sons nanny. No one will see that they are cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE View Post
    R400 camera that looks like a globe, screws into any fitting. Connects via WiFi. We found them when we had had unfounded concerns with my sons nanny. No one will see that they are cameras.
    Where did you get them and what make were they?

User

I bought ones from the flee market. They were R350-400 if I remember correctly. They look like these https://www.spytec.com/720p-hd-wi-fi...lb-camera.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2