User

Default SAPS putting themselves above the law again (old act licenses)

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/L...nse-20190108-2

However, SAPS has made their position clear in a previous statement:
    https://www.sanews.gov.za/south-afri...s-firearms-act

Court judgement leads to hitches in Firearms Act
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009
    By:
    Bathandwa Mbola

Pretoria - Firearm owners, whose licenses have expired, may remain in possession of the guns despite the 30 June deadline imposed by government.

"Legal firearm owners may poses, sans use, their firearms ... and the 'old green licence' will be sufficient proof of the legal possession of the firearm," said police spokesperson, Director Phuti Setati on Wednesday.

The Firearms Control Act, which was being phased in over five years ending 31 June, was aimed at forcing licensed gun owners to re-apply for their licences, including applying for competency certificates, failing which they must dispose of their firearms, or could have them forfeited to the state.

However, a hitch in implementing the transitional provisions of the Act came about after a High Court judgement on 26 June.

Judge Bill Prinsloo granted the urgent order that *all* firearm licences approved under the 1969 Arms and Ammunition Act shall be deemed to be lawful and valid ..

So what part of "all" does the Hillcrest bunch not understand?
    Last edited by Johnny Mnemonic; 16-01-2019 at 03:29. Reason: clarity/accuracy

User

Default Re: SAPS putting themselves above the law again (old act licenses)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post

However, SAPS has made their position clear in a previous statement:
    https://www.sanews.gov.za/south-afri...s-firearms-act

Court judgement leads to hitches in Firearms Act
    Wednesday, July 15, 2009
    By:
    Bathandwa Mbola

Pretoria - Firearm owners, whose licenses have expired, may remain in possession of the guns despite the 30 June deadline imposed by government.

"Legal firearm owners may poses, sans use, their firearms ... and the 'old green licence' will be sufficient proof of the legal possession of the firearm," said police spokesperson, Director Phuti Setati on Wednesday.

The Firearms Control Act, which was being phased in over five years ending 31 June, was aimed at forcing licensed gun owners to re-apply for their licences, including applying for competency certificates, failing which they must dispose of their firearms, or could have them forfeited to the state.

However, a hitch in implementing the transitional provisions of the Act came about after a High Court judgement on 26 June.

Judge Bill Prinsloo granted the urgent order that *all* firearm licences approved under the 1969 Arms and Ammunition Act shall be deemed to be lawful and valid ..

So what part of "all" does the Hillcrest bunch not understand?

I see the original article has disappeared. I read somewhere that the article was incorrect and some sort of clarification will be published.
    However I can't find the clarification

https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=za

Renew your firearm license
    2019-01-15 06:00

Phindile Shozi

THE Hillcrest SAPS is calling on all community members who own firearms to renew their licenses.

Hillcrest SAPS Communications officer captain Linzi Smith said she would like to make firearm-licensed community members aware of the expiry dates on their firearm licenses.

“The expiring dates on their current firearms is near and, as the station, we don’t want to confiscate anyone’s firearm which is why we are making them aware of it while there’s still time,” explained Smith.

She said that she’s calling upon everyone who did not renew under the new Firearm Control Act 60/2000 and is still in possession of the old green cards, which are no longer valid.

“All the people who did renew but are also still in possession of those same green cards, please note that they are no longer valid as they no longer fall under the old Arms and Ammunition Act,” she said.

Also, she said all the current firearm licenced holders need to check their cards as they have expiry dates on them and are not issued like the green cards “for a lifetime”.

“They need to be renewed 90 days before the expiry date on the card, although applications will be accepted if they have run into the 90 day period.

“All licences that have expired, those will unfortunately have to wait for the amnesty before they can renew.”

In conclusion, she said that they don’t have a timeline or date yet as to when the amnesty will be announced but they are encouraging all firearm licenced holders to keep themselves updated for this amnesty by monitoring the news, media, and radio.

For more information contact captain Linzi Smith on 031 765 9100, or visit them on Old Main Road, Hillcrest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_of_original_article_cache_for_reference_purposes_Hillcrest_Renew your firearm license.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	29898
    Last edited by Johnny Mnemonic; 24-01-2019 at 05:19. Reason: Added_cached_original_screenshot_for_reference_purposes

User

Thanks to GOSA:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/guno...7183371620087/

In response to the Hillcrest Fever article about renewing licenses.

STOP FIGHTING THE GREENS SAYS GUN OWNERS SOUTH AFRICA.

16 January 2019

The national body representing South African firearms owners, GOSA, says calls by the police to get all legal firearm owners to renew their licenses are misleading.

“GOSA is concerned that an extremely misleading article, published in the Hillcrest Fever, regarding renewals of firearms licenses in the area could prompt green license card holders to give up their rights.

“While it is fantastic that firearms owners are being reminded to renew their firearms licenses, we are concerned that the Hillcrest SAPS, particularly Linzi Smith, is misleading the public.

“Only the so-called white licenses must be renewed 90 days before they expire. All firearm licences that were valid before the Firearms Control Act of 2000 became law in 2004, are valid for life. This includes the green laminated card licences and those which are pasted into ID books. There are no exceptions to this fact, regardless of whether or not the holder of such a licence bothered to apply for the so-called new white licence cards.”

The GOSA statement refers to a decision of the North Gauteng High Court in 2009, when Judge Bill Prinsloo ordered that licenses discussed in the firearms control act of 2000 remain valid until the court makes a final decision on them.
    That final judgements is still not in place and the Prinsloo decision remains the only law in place regarding older licenses.

In terms of the white licenses that are expired, in a recent order The High Court in Pretoria has granted an urgent interim interdict prohibiting the police from accepting any firearms for which the licences had expired at police stations or demanding that such firearms be handed over for destruction

"With pending litigation on the matter of firearms licenses and the ongoing court cases that GOSA is involved with an amnesty period is not on the cards at this time.”

The order is attached in the image below.

https://www.google.com/…/court-comes...-firearm…/amp/

ENDS
    Tim Flack
    GOSA:
    MEDIA OFFICER

https://www.google.com/amp/s/citizen...ms-police/amp/

User

its coming soon, someone will take the hillcrest dfo to task
    many many people have had misinformation, my uncle was told to hand in his guns because the white had expired (all on green as well)
    they told me i cannot carry a section 16 after they questioned why i want another handgun

try explain the law, you will be told gun owners lost the old license case..........\

not sure whats changed there as they have been EXCELLENT in the past

User

what i mean is when someone is arrested for carrying a sect 16, or green license gun there will be court case and money paid out.

User

This does not seem to be an isolated incident. It appears this misinformation coming from SAPS is spreading.

User

Gents, before you get the pitchforks out and get ready to burn the Hillcrest SAPS at the stake, please read Tim's follow-up below. Seems the media is the naughty one here...again..:(

Tim Flack

Admin · January 18 at 10:22 AM

Re: Hillcrest Fever article about renewing licenses.

I've just been called by the editor of the publication, Hillcrest Fever. They have admitted that they have made a mistake in the article and had unfortunately attributed it to Captain Linzi Smith of the Hillcrest SAPS. It is very unfortunate that it was also published to News24.

We had hoped this was the case as discussion with the journalist that published the article weren't very promising and right of reply seems to have been pushed aside at the time.

Hillcrest Fever will be publishing a retraction and giving the correct information.

My job as media officer for GOSA is to counter bad information published. And we have done so with our statement. We understand it is by no means a reflection on Captain Smith as we have been informed by the Fever that she has made every effort to correct the information.
    Thank you to all the members that brought this to our attention, and those that had also brought it to the attention of Captain Smith.

User

yet she told me this same story to my face? that my local station and unfortunately of late they do not seem clued up

my uncle nearly handed his guns in because of what was told to him. luckily he came to visit and i showed him threads off gunsite and GOSA

Sure the papers may have got it wrong, but go in there and ask if you can carry a sect 16..............

User

Sad though, because i had excellent service on all my licenses so not sure whats changed.
    also the cleanest office i have seen at any police station