User

Default Sellier and Bellot SPCE bullets

With my beloved Sierra Prohunter in 180gr being discontinued I have started doing research and I have been given some S&B 180gr SPCE bullets to try. I have seen some solid reviews on them but has anyone on the forum used the for target and/or hunting?
    I am always keen to try a new thing - even considering going back to the 180 gr standard PMP bullet. It worked before and will surely work again.

User

Default Re: Sellier and Bellot SPCE bullets

How about Speer Hot Cor? Pretty reasonably priced at Techno Pro - the 90grainers are very accurate in my 243...

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hearties View Post
    How about Speer Hot Cor? Pretty reasonably priced at Techno Pro - the 90grainers are very accurate in my 243...
    In a few calibers those hot cor's are rare, I love using them in my 6.5x55 but struggle to find them. SPCE is what I used when I broke in my barrel, shot a few springbok and warthog. It seemed like a decent bullet, had no issues with it, but will you be able to source them?

User

Quote Originally Posted by RevA View Post
    In a few calibers those hot cor's are rare, I love using them in my 6.5x55 but struggle to find them. SPCE is what I used when I broke in my barrel, shot a few springbok and warthog. It seemed like a decent bullet, had no issues with it, but will you be able to source them?
    You’re right - the availability is a bit spotty but there is stock of the 180gr Hot Cor.Apologies for the hijack - I’ve never shot the SPCE’s

User

Webster the SPCE's are a decent bullet for the price. I used a box on the range, that little shoulder does look odd but it punches a hole in the target as cleanly as a paper punch.
    I never got round to hunting with them, however a friend and I did a hunt together and he did use the 180's in his dirty O 6.
    Moderate velocity and his animal was cleanly killed, unfortunately bang on the shoulder so the bone fragments made a bit of a mess.
    Personally I would have no problem using them in a normal hunting situation.

User

I also am looking at options. I was considering the Hornady Interlock 180gr flatbase, they seem to be frequently available, and good feedback at 308 velocities.

User

Yes, also a reasonable bullet, I have used them a lot in the 308, I prefer the 165 grain bullets, boat tail as well. For some reason I get better results with boat tails than flat base bullets in my rifle, odd I know, However they are very accurate for me at 2580 fps, only used them on Impala but they certainly do the job.