Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: License renewal experience

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Reviving this thread.

Recently I handed in another license renewal application. DFO was happy with everything. Then a surprise:

Since my last bunch of renewals, he has received a directive that he has to attach an inspection report of ALL my fire arms. (Not just the one being renewed!) A form was provided. So this is why people have been reporting that their DFO wants to inspect their FA on renewal.

I asked whether he wanted me to bring them all to his office. He said something like "Are you mad? It is MY job to go to your house and do the inspection there." I was already picturing myself loading the bakkie full of guns, and I don't have enough cases and bags for all of them...

As anticipated, they are gradually making compliance more and more onerous, under the guise of "fighting crime".
    Wonder when this directive came about?

I ask because I submitted my Sec13 renewal in November and my DFO didn't ask any such questions.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Reviving this thread.

Recently I handed in another license renewal application. DFO was happy with everything. Then a surprise:

Since my last bunch of renewals, he has received a directive that he has to attach an inspection report of ALL my fire arms. (Not just the one being renewed!) A form was provided. So this is why people have been reporting that their DFO wants to inspect their FA on renewal.

I asked whether he wanted me to bring them all to his office. He said something like "Are you mad? It is MY job to go to your house and do the inspection there." I was already picturing myself loading the bakkie full of guns, and I don't have enough cases and bags for all of them...

As anticipated, they are gradually making compliance more and more onerous, under the guise of "fighting crime".

Didn't need a report for all FA's but required one for the FA (licence) being renewed mid last year.
    I had my gunsmith do a report to hand in.

Check or enquire with your DFO if a gunsmith report for each FA will be acceptable?

If a standard issued gunsmith inspection and report is accepted you can remove the hassle of having SAPS make an appointment to inspect and more than likely have the date or time changed a few times and in turn your renewal(s) wait and be delayed until SAPS has checked.

A gunsmith generally checks and matches the serial number and any other markings and will give you an inspection report to submit.
    You may have a small fee to pay to the Gunsmith for the inspection or you may not need to pay depending on the Smith you know.

User

Default Re: License renewal experience

The reason for me needing to submit a gunsmith report when doing my license renewal was that SAPS had an issue with the calibre code, make and my unique serial number which has my initials and DOB.

This was even though it has been on their system for many years.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3